Quantcast
The "Other" Knives
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The "Other" Knives

The "Other" Knives

Kind of a spin off of the Favorite knife thread:http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...favorite-knife

Forget the custom knives. Forget the Japanese knives. There have to be some good "other" knives out there. What's yours?

It may not be my Ashi, but I just love the feel of my Sabatier Nogent 9" chef knife in my hand. It just feel right. Even though I don't get the edge retention of my Japanese knives, I can get it sharp enough for my purposes and a joy to use.

-AJ

Engorged Member
    One of the many custom ordered knife mistakes I have made was ordering a set from Wildfire Cutlery. two of the knives have gone into the trash or given away. The parer is still in my kit. It is 1095 and needs to be thinned, but the balance is great and I love the shape of the handle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0016.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	1586  

Looks like tgraypot's first knife!
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

14" Forschner cimiter, still use it everyweek when I get a 50# of Organic Irish Salmon....... I have a sheath for it too, and will wear it around the kitchen for laughs....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

That's straight out of Hell's Kitchen (Bourdain style, not Ramsey).
    I love it!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

A 6" "Stewarts Hand Made" carbon butcher knife. My favorite chicken breaker.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

With little skills for either cutting or sharpening... for years I was a big snob about knives beacause of my 10" Nogent Sabatier. Blissfully ignorant of J-knives for quite a while. Then I looked into just exactly what it was I was snobby about, and found all these lovely forums. And I helped a friend cook one night at her place, and she had Macs. From there....

Well, I still love that Nogent. (I have a Nogent petty and parer, too.... those are great but mostly unused now, having given way to other things most of the time).

I know a 3" wusthof knife. I use it for anything from opening mail to putting my bread picking up food with it.

Wagstaff. If you're selling the Nogents, I know a guy (me) who might like a looksee!
    My "other" knife love is for Sabs, even though I only own two, one of which is sharpened beyond recognition.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

My first chef knife: stainless Diamant Sabatier Forgé, soft, thick and heavy as a German. I still use it for heavy tasks when most people here would use a deba. A few years ago I broke the handle. Instead of replacing the handle the distributor replaced the whole knife - for free. Mixed feelings on my part, as I had to reiterate twenty years of thinning...