The "Other" Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajhuff

Banned
Reaction score
Kind of a spin off of the Favorite knife thread:http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php?2570-What-s-your-favorite-knife

Forget the custom knives. Forget the Japanese knives. There have to be some good "other" knives out there. What's yours?

It may not be my Ashi, but I just love the feel of my Sabatier Nogent 9" chef knife in my hand. It just feel right. Even though I don't get the edge retention of my Japanese knives, I can get it sharp enough for my purposes and a joy to use.

-AJ

One of the many custom ordered knife mistakes I have made was ordering a set from Wildfire Cutlery. two of the knives have gone into the trash or given away. The parer is still in my kit. It is 1095 and needs to be thinned, but the balance is great and I love the shape of the handle.

IMAG0016.jpg

14" Forschner cimiter, still use it everyweek when I get a 50# of Organic Irish Salmon....... I have a sheath for it too, and will wear it around the kitchen for laughs....

That's straight out of Hell's Kitchen (Bourdain style, not Ramsey).
I love it!

With little skills for either cutting or sharpening... for years I was a big snob about knives beacause of my 10" Nogent Sabatier. Blissfully ignorant of J-knives for quite a while. Then I looked into just exactly what it was I was snobby about, and found all these lovely forums. And I helped a friend cook one night at her place, and she had Macs. From there....

Well, I still love that Nogent. (I have a Nogent petty and parer, too.... those are great but mostly unused now, having given way to other things most of the time).

Wagstaff. If you're selling the Nogents, I know a guy (me) who might like a looksee!
My "other" knife love is for Sabs, even though I only own two, one of which is sharpened beyond recognition.

My first chef knife: stainless Diamant Sabatier Forgé, soft, thick and heavy as a German. I still use it for heavy tasks when most people here would use a deba. A few years ago I broke the handle. Instead of replacing the handle the distributor replaced the whole knife - for free. Mixed feelings on my part, as I had to reiterate twenty years of thinning...

Hi Lefty -- I'm in love with the Nogent 10" chef's... use that all the time. The slicer isn't seeing as much work now, but I'm not ready to part with it. I have 'newer toy' that's seeing the use at the moment, but I'm not sure where that'll settle....

In a strange way I'm happy to read that. Remember to use those badboys!

The only one that's really almost "decorative" at this point is the parer. And that probably gets kept "just because" there others are in the block. I could maybe be talked into parting with it... but c'mon. It's a parer!

I have a Gehring 3.5 inch paring knife and a 8" chefs knife that I have been using for more than a decade. The chef knife I gave to my little sister when she went to school, but I kept the paring. It was the best little paring knife I have ever used, it has just recently been replaced by one from Pierre, but I am still keeping it in my block.

I just bought a King 1000/6000 combo stone and me and my two Henckels are back on speaking terms. Like Dom Deluise said in "History Of The World, Part 1" Nice.....not thrilling, but nice.

I just bought a King 1000/6000 combo stone and me and my two Henckels are back on speaking terms. Like Dom Deluise said in "History Of The World, Part 1" Nice.....not thrilling, but nice.

I have that combo stone and its great to bring old knives back to speaking terms!

And the real reason for the reply! I have watched that movie since I was a child (while not appropriate back then for my age) it is still hilarious today!

I have a vintage TI sabatier I've grown fond of. It's brick compared to some of the lighter more delicately profiled knives, but very satisfying in the hand sometimes. Takes me back to my roots I guess. There are some western knives I truly love.

I have that combo stone and its great to bring old knives back to speaking terms!

And the real reason for the reply! I have watched that movie since I was a child (while not appropriate back then for my age) it is still hilarious today!

one of my favorite movies. I always hoped he would of made part two.

2 – 3” Trident parers :knife: :knife:are out of retirement after meeting Gessin 400. :cool2:

Like most other Germans, I have a few small Herder paring knives that I like. Everyone I knew growing up had them, they are very thin, start looking like crap after mistreating them for years, but they still cut fine and sharpen up nicely. The other one is a Henckels 230mm 'ham knife', just a normal slicer. I have had that knife for almost 30 years and always liked how it felt in my hand. A few years back, I thinned it down a bit, now it looks really ugly but I like it even better. I am seriously thinking about selling my Nenox 230 slicer right now because I go for the Henckels most of the time anyway.

Stefan

I have to be honest. When I'm cutting through something really hard, or semi-frozen, I reach for my '78 Henckels Chef knife. The thing is a champ!

Back