Help enable a budding knife addict!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronE

Reaction score
Hey everybody! Long time listener/first time caller situation here- I’ve been snooping around this forum to learn about knives for a little over a year now, and I’m hoping I can draw from the incredible knowledge base here to help inform my next knife purchase. I'm not a professional, but cooking is a passionate hobby for me.

I’m looking for a gyuto to compliment my 10” 52100 ZKramer. The Kramer is a great workhorse, so I’m looking for a knife that is more quick and nimble that I can pull out for lighter tasks when I don’t need the big boy. It would also be nice if it was stainless, or stainless clad (which I love the look of once the patina sets) for quick meals where I might not feel like a thorough wash and dry job before I eat.

So, a few questions-

While I’d like something thin and light enough to fall through food easily (because that’s just fun!), I also don’t want something that I could potentially damage or that I couldn’t use for common tasks such as slicing crusty grilled meats. I’m working on knife technique, and actually buy bags of produce to practice on, but I’m no pro. People rave about a lot of the laser style knives, and I’m intrigued by something that cuts that easily, but should I aim for something a bit more forgiving?

I’m also torn between a 210 and a 240. I’m sure the 210 would be more than enough for most of what I’d be doing with it, but I have a feeling that I’ll fall in love with the knife and end up wishing I had the larger version. Also, I have large hands, and I’m a little worried about knuckle clearance with a 210.

Some of the knives I’ve been considering are (in addition to literally every knife ever mentioned on this forum, but I’ve tried to narrow it down):

-Takamura Migaki R2 (210 only)
-Kurosaki stainless clad AS
-Ikazuchi stainless clad AS
-Gesshin Kagero

My current collection includes-
10” ZKramer in 52100
8” single man Hinkles that I use for chopping nuts, etc
270 Misono Swedish Carbon Suji
165 Gesshin Uraku stainless Santoku
4” Shun Premier paring knife
270 Tojiro ITK Bread knife

-Austin, TX
KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
-Gyuto
Are you right or left handed?
-Right
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
-Kind of leaning wa, but western is fine too
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
-210-240
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
-Prefer stainless or stainless clad
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
-250, but I’m not exactly a Vanderbilt, so priority will probably be given to less expensive options
KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
-Home
What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
-General use, primarily lighter work involving veggies and cooked protein. No bones or frozen foods.
What knife, if any, are you replacing?
-Adding to the arsenal
Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
-Pinch
What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
-push cut, tip down pull cut, and occasional rocking for herbs and such
What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
-I’m fine with aesthetics breaking a tie, but otherwise I want the best blade I can get for the money
Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
-Looking for something light and nimble, but not too brittle. Rounded spine is a plus as I’ve used knives without them am not a fan
Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
-Good OOTB edge is a plus, or something from a vendor that offers initial sharpening. More important is less wedging and stickage
Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
-Because I’m new to sharpening and won’t trust myself with nicer knives for a while, an edge that lasts would be a big plus.
KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
- Yes, edge grain wood
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
-Won’t be doing this one for a while
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
-Working on it!
Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
-Have 1000 and 6000 King stones
SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I very much look forward your well-informed thoughts on the knives I’ve listed, as well as any other options I should consider. Thanks in advance!

I've recently bought a ZKramer 8" Meiji

It's a beauty in all respects. Nimble, stainless, good looker, perfect F&F, handle is the best of all the knives on the rack (including the 10" ZKramer Chef's)

I have a few 240's including the Kurosaki AS (great cutter and feel in the hand), but find the Meiji's length just fine for almost everything. If it's squash, the I use the 10" ZK, otherwise it's the Meiji (or the Nakiri)

Welcome, and good luck in your quest

Thanks for the reply! I've thought about checking those out. Seems like it's thinner than the 52100, and looks gorgeous. I was kind of steering towards a true Japanese knife, just because I'm interested in learning more about them. But I'll head to SLT and see how it feels.

I just got a Takamura R2 santoku and love it. I don't have the experience and context of other knives other people here do, but I love it.

If I was looking for something nimble I would get the kagero or ikazuchi at 210mm, or maybe a 210mm suji if you haven't ever used one before. The heel on Kramers is so high that a low heeled short suji is going to feel like a light saber.

There is a stainless Sakai Yusuke 210mm suji at blueway for $175 shipped. If you don't like it, it'll resell like lightning.

Thanks for your help guys! The suji is intriguing, but with my sausage-like fingers I'm worried I wouldn't be able to use it for much board work. I'm leaning towards the Ikazuchi, maybe even the 240 since they're in stock.

I have Takamura R2 and Kagerro 240mm (wa handle) and really love PM knives, very, very sharp and keep and edge for a long time. I think I use my R2 for around 65% of time. This knife is crazy thin and very light. It can get chippy a little bit if you are not careful. The handle is on the smaller size, for me it is a pro but for someone else it may be a disadvantage. I loved it so much I decided to get 150mm petty and looking into santoku as well. My Takamura came very sharp out of the box that I just felt in love with it. It is just such a joy to cook with insanely sharp knife like this one.

It there was only 240mm Takamura R2 it would be a perfect knife for me. :)

Have you considered the Takamura Pro/Blazen? I have it as well as the 210 R2. It's a tad thicker so less delicate and has a welded bolster instead of soldered. Also have the Uchigumo

How does the added thickness effect the balance? My problem with a lot of the 210s I've handled, particularly with western handles, is that they tend to be too handle heavy. I feel like even though the blade is cutting easily, I actually have to work harder to cut than I do with a thicker knife that is blade heavy. That's been my concern about the red handle Takamura.

Balance for both the Takamura R2 and HSPS pro is just forward of the bolster.

Takamura R2 gets my cote 160 usd, shes basically a scalpel. Super thin, small amount of flex, glides through food like a lazer beam. Also probably the best value powdered stainless knife on the market. I have the 210mm and 150mm petty and they both stay in my rotation, I also have the 270 uchigumo/suminigashi, but shes a different beast.

Back