Pass-Around Knives - Details

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
I will make two knives in 52100 to pass around, one with 240mm on the edge and one with 255mm. Both will be heat treated to maximize edge retention, will feature shallow convex grind, sturdy geometry (3-3.25mm on the spine over the heel), a distal taper but no flex along the spine. Despite a 'beefy spine' the mid section will be thin and immediately above the edge - very thin. They will be around 61-62RC hard, so might take a little more effort to sharpen (61-62RC + increased wear resistance). In my estimate, the resulting edge should hold for 2 months + in pro kitchen with occasional stropping.

I am going to select 5 people for each knife. The longer version, I would like to send to the pros, and the shorter, to home cooks. The only difference between the two - 240mm is slightly shorter, and less tall, but other than that, it's the same geometry and profile.

Both knives will feature either an octagonal, or a modified D handle in cocobolo, horn and spacer, the blade will have a typical of my knives finish (horizontal scratches hand finished to 800grit), will come with poplar sayas and with 3-5K edge.

I would like to ask that pros keep the knife no longer than a week, and home cooks no longer than 4 days.

I would ask you to judge my knives on their merits (without patronizing). Public reviews are welcome.

I think I have done my due diligence to come up with a package (heat treatment, geometry, profile, finish, handle/saya set) that is of a good value and well rounded. Heat treatment is a multi-step process done on one knife at a time and that takes a long time to complete, but results are very encouraging - as confirmed by a rope-cutting test. The rest - grind, fit, finish, attention to details, you will judge for yourself.

I will be posting the names of folks I will be sending pass-around knives to shortly. The pass-arounds in different steels will follow but some will be send for a private feedback first.

Thanks,

Marko

Any maker think about asking gator to do a home cook review? His reviews are thorough and detailed, with technical breakdown of applications. Also, many go to his site for info. May reach a wider audience.

Looking forward to the reviews on these beauties. Very excited about your HT as well, Marko. Sounds like you have found a very good balance between hardness and edge retention. Would love to be one of the amateur reviewers but I understand that Norway is not the easiest nor the cheapest place to send things. I'll check out the reviews... as usual... *SIGH*... :(

DarKHOeK

Woot!:D

Sounds like a plan. My time has become a lot less predictable after my work moved 200km out of town, but we'll find time. We can even do a review :happy1:

DarKHOeK

shiiit, I always miss the pass arounds... oh well cant wait to see some reviews...

I very excited for you. Can not wait to here the results

Thanks guys. I am a little slow on this project as there so many distractions (heat treating new steels is one of them), plus I need to finish with custom work that I owe people for a long time (not proud about myself about this one :( ), plus wanted to get as much feedback on heat treatment and grind as possible, before sending knives out for reviews.

M

Back