Munitoshi introduction?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glestain

Reaction score
Maxim, do you have any review for this? Tell us more about it.

Just to include for others, sounds like the maker of Munitoshi is the same person who made the much loved Itonominn butcher knives =)

I personally love my Itonominn butcher.

Email? Strange that I sign up again and again, but do not receive the emails. I must have made someone upset. What is the content?

646456ee4160a65ce3d0.png

Maxim is just mad at you Ger. These look pretty cool, and the price is right.

I bought one yesterday and can't wait to get it. Looks good, the price is right and I have liked everything I've gotten from Maxim so far.

mehh i dont have that much control of the people who subscribing :p
Email? Strange that I sign up again and again, but do not receive the emails. I must have made someone upset. What is the content?

Kasumi ones was just for test and i think only 2 left :) I will carry only his KU

From website :

Another Great Blacksmith from Sanjo, Niigata

Third Generation Munetoshi is all made by 67 years old Kouiti Turumaki.

He have learned everything from his father and have been blacksmith for 52 years

He is specialized in white steel and making primarily Axes, Nata and heavy duty blades

Thats why i have approached him for my Butcher knife :) That was my house brand itinomonn

They turned out outstandingly strong and very robust knives.

Fit and finish is not his thing so you can not expect any on Munitoshi knives. But in my opinion it is not bad thing as his knives is is made for abuse and to be strong !

He water quench all his knives and finish is rough and rustic. In my opinion they are amazing cutters on pair with Shigefusa and Kato !

Super easy to sharpen and get amazing edge with White steel. But much together then other white steel knives that i have tried.

At this price point he is very very hard to beat. As always fully handmade hand-laminated blades, VERY rare to see in this price point, so they are Amazing value !

I decided to Keep ONLY Kurouchi knives from him , so he will concentrate more on heat-treatment and grind instead of FF, plus i think the look of his KU knives is the best and super unique !

Looks like the Kasumis are sold out which is good for me as I was very tempted.

Looking forward to hearing feedback on these =)

I personally like the Kasumi finish better and something other than the D -Shaped handles. A simple octagon and Kasumi finish and I would have purchased one.

Ger, I'm thinking it must be Dan that keeps cutting you off. All of those bad things you say about his handles:nono:

(So sorry, couldn't resist)

Nah i'm more refined than that, I spend weeks of signing up people to newsletters and/or subscriptions for all kinds of things... hope they all will enjoy their free used stamps,deals on time shares in Nepal, termites and single socks.

Ger, I'm thinking it must be Dan that keeps cutting you off. All of those bad things you say about his handles:nono:

(So sorry, couldn't resist)

Ah, this Dan. No, I think he included me in the ultra-secret Facebook group, so he must be a good guy. Plus, I think I have a handle made by him, my only 'custom' I guess, on a Yoshikane chuka. I think the old habit (by JNS, for eg) of putting thin wa-handles on heavy chukabocho was pretty scandalous, and heavier balance- and grip-providing stubbier western handles are way better. Anyway, the Dan handle on my Yoshikane is appropriately fat and heavy. Even better. I think mine is one of the ones here:

vegcleaver1.jpg

I'm curious to hear if there is any difference in performance between this line and the itinnomon KU line. Such a nice price and I really like the tip and profile.

this is interesting line. a few questions
white 1 or 2? hardness? cladding type? are spine and/or choil eased?

I think white 2
Hard :) I really dont know what hardness is on any of my knives. Water quenched thats about it, he dont measure the hardness on them
Clading is Iron so rusty
No spine and choil is not eased

I know some of you already got this, where is the feedback!!??

Very curious about this one because the profile was holding me back on itinomon where as this looks fantastic as is the price of admission.

Haven't used it much, couple of veggies and some chicken breast. So far I'm liking it, heel has a small upturn but nothing I'm too worried about. Weighs 190g. FnF is really pretty good I think. I've paid a lot more for worse at least. Spine and choil edges are rounded off and the handle/ferrule are flush. Maybe the handle could be smoother but it's got a nice grip to it imo. B/c this was the kasumi version maybe some more attention was paid to the spine/choil but the spine on my butcher is about the same.

Small update, used it to make a couple gallons of red beans. Basic trinity, slicing sausage for the most part. The tip is thin enough to fly through the onions and towards the heel still has enough weight to chop through them easily. Pull and push cutting smoked sausage was easy. It's currently one of my lighter knives but can still act like a heavier knife it feels like to me. Def feels solid in the hand and the sound it makes when putting it down is almost the same as my Workhorse. Some kind of a reverberation, idk what it's from but it has that same solid "whole knife is one piece" feeling. It is fairly reactive to start but since putting a base patina on it I've let it sit in between ingredients to check the pot or wash a dish no problem. This has all been with the OOTB edge as well. Not much bad I can say so far, but I haven't exactly pushed this knife very hard. Sorry if the sound thing doesn't make much sense, but no other knives I've owned besides the munitoshi make the same sound as the Kato when putting them down. I've checked hehe. One thing I was thinking was if you offered the munitoshi gyuto/butcher as a combo deal for new people into jknives. Not much you couldn't do with these 2 knives. Just a spitball idea :yammer:

Small update, used it to make a couple gallons of red beans. Basic trinity, slicing sausage for the most part. The tip is thin enough to fly through the onions and towards the heel still has enough weight to chop through them easily. Pull and push cutting smoked sausage was easy. It's currently one of my lighter knives but can still act like a heavier knife it feels like to me. Def feels solid in the hand and the sound it makes when putting it down is almost the same as my Workhorse. Some kind of a reverberation, idk what it's from but it has that same solid "whole knife is one piece" feeling. It is fairly reactive to start but since putting a base patina on it I've let it sit in between ingredients to check the pot or wash a dish no problem. This has all been with the OOTB edge as well. Not much bad I can say so far, but I haven't exactly pushed this knife very hard. Sorry if the sound thing doesn't make much sense, but no other knives I've owned besides the munitoshi make the same sound as the Kato when putting them down. I've checked hehe. One thing I was thinking was if you offered the munitoshi gyuto/butcher as a combo deal for new people into jknives. Not much you couldn't do with these 2 knives. Just a spitball idea :yammer:

That sounds correct, they are about same heat treatment Kato and Munitoshi :)

Sorry if the question is redundant, but any shorter knives in the works?

One last update and I'll shut up. I had some bacon I smoked that needed to be sliced. One slab was over cooked and kind of tough, almost beef jerky like or a good BBQ crust. Able to bite through it pretty easily, so not rock hard. To give an idea of what I was cutting through. I wanted to try out this knife on cutting something tough. Ended up with 2 half moon chips in the middle and 3/4 the way up the edge towards the tip. So while made for abuse is mentioned on the sales page I would take it slow in doing so. No qualms about the knife and I intended to put it through something tough, abuse was mentioned so I gave it a go. It is very thin behind the edge so after a couple of sharpenings to thicken it up a bit something like this may be no problem.

Back