Knife box quiz

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark76

Reaction score
I am going to sell some of my knives. I still have the original boxes, but I didn’t always record which box belongs to which knife. Today I have sorted out most of them, but not all. So I thought: maybe you guys can give me some help.

So I put together a knife box quiz :) . The question is: which box belongs to which knife. I’ve labelled the boxes from A to T (and, indeed, S is missing).

And the knives/brands are:

• Ashi Hamono (180 mm gyuto)
  • Ashi Hamono (sujihiki)
  • Carter
  • Echizen Hamono a.k.a. Goko
  • Heiji
  • Kato
  • Kochi
  • Konosuke (HH petty)
  • Konosuke (petty without handle)
  • Masakage (240 mm gyuto)
  • Masakage (Koishi)
  • Masakage (Zero)
  • Mystery knife/stone/box (who can solve the mystery?)
  • Shun (petty)
  • Suisin Inox honyaki
  • Takeda
  • Teruyasu Fujiwara
  • Tojiro (bread knife)
  • Watanabe

Who can help me? Or wants to be renowned for their knife knowledge eternally?

I’ve got a bonus question as well. I got two towels with some of the above knives. But I don’t know anymore which knives I got them with.

Who can help me on this one? Is there anyone who’s famous for their kitchen towel knowledge?

Q - Ashi Hamono (180 mm gyuto)
L - Ashi Hamono (sujihiki)
P - Carter
M - Heiji
C - Kato
F - Kochi
J or N - Konosuke (HH petty)
J or N - Konosuke (petty without handle)
T - Mystery knife/stone/box (who can solve the mystery?) - this might be an arishayama 6k
R - Shun (petty)
E - Suisin Inox honyaki
G - Takeda
K - Teruyasu Fujiwara
H - Tojiro (bread knife)

I completely cheated using the Google translate app (it has a camera function...doesn't work well but occasionally it can decipher a few things).
Interestingly a lot of them say something general like 'luxury cooking knife'.
What I could figure out:

-B is of course Masakage, but I've actually seen it used on most of their lines. So will be hard to match if you have several.
-E looks to be the Suisin INOX honyaki but not really sure on that one.
-H is Tojiro.
-K is Terayasu Fujiwara (it helps when there's a mugshot on the box!)
-L is Ashi Hamono
-I think M is Heji
-J is Konosuke
-N is Konosuke
-P and R...well... :)
-Q is Ashi Hamono again

-The blue towel says Teruyasu Fujuwara on it.

-The mystery box (T) is from an Arashiyama stone. You forgot to send the box when you sent me the stone. :)

"O" looks like the box some of my Watanabes came in, although it is also used for Toyama. It's more of a maroon/burgundy but the lighting in the picture may be the cause

I wouldn't get too fussed about the boxes. Lots do say 'luxury kitchen knife' because they're just generic and aren't intended to be special keepsakes, just nice safe boxes for keeping the knives. I keep all of mine of course - for possible moves and storage - but if I had says for them all and thought I'd never sell any, then they'd be off in the bin.

Or maybe he was out of rainbow coloured ones to give you. ;)

Thanks a lot, guys! My questions have been answered. I am particularly impressed by two the people who told me the "mystery box" is for an Arashiyama 6K stone, which I sold some time ago and had completely forgotten about. (Indeed, I sold it to Jovidah).

I am equally impressed by the kitchen towel knowlegde on this forum. Thanks!

Unfortunately I have no tangible prize to offer, but as far as I am concerned, eternal fame for their knife box knowledge goes to both TheDispossessed and Jovidah who answered 12 questions correctly (and 0 wrong).

Just in case you're interested, here are the full answers, partly with the help of you guys.

A = Kato
B = Masakage Koishi
C = Masakage Zero
D = Watanabe
E = Suisin Inox Honyaki
F = Kochi
G = Takeda
H = Tojiro bread knife
I = Masakage 240 mm. Probably replacement box for broken knife
J = Konosuke petty no handle
K = Teruyasu Fujiwara
L = Ashi Hamono sujihiki
M = Heiji
N = Konosuke HH petty
O = Goko
P = Carter
Q = Ashi Hamono 180 mm
R = Shun petty
T = Arashiyama 6K

Nice going! I must admit a lot of 'my' credit goes to the Google translate app. It's actually reasonably useful as you can just make a picture of kanji's and occasionally it comes up with something useful. Occasionally. :)
Doing a lot of window-shopping while avoiding my thesis also helps. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back