• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Custom 240MM Konosuke Blue#2 Honyaki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

V1P

Reaction score
This knife is brand new, never been used. Has been in my possession for almost 2 years, but never had the heart to use it. I purchased the blade only and spent a fortune for the handle and saya set up. It is truly one of a kind.

The wood blocks for the handle and saya were custom ordered, to make sure the pattern matched and both blocks dyed at the same time.

The damascus spacer and end cap was supplied by Randy of HHH knives.

This knife has a nice heft to it, the f&f on the blade and handle is flawless. The hamon is visible, although not overly so. This is normal for a blue#2 honyaki and could probably be polished up, to show more of it.

Edge length : 245mm
Height at heel : 51mm
Weight : 259g
Spine thickness at heel : 3.2mm
Spine thickness before handle : 4mm

Handle material : blue dyed box elder burl, ebony, HHH damascus spacer and end cap.

Saya material : blue dyed box elder burl with ebony liner and safety pin.

Handle & saya work done by Isaiah Schroeder of ISknifeworks.

Price is $1500, worldwide shipping and Paypal fee included. Please PM with your offers and questions.

C725B2B2-A053-41AB-B0C9-3125A016BE59.jpg

B1ED4156-E455-465C-BAED-E44F98893471.jpg

9EC8C99E-A2CD-4792-8009-8888A9999016.jpg

17910EC2-22EE-4976-AD8A-1C021E71C622.jpg

0FFC99C4-96D3-4530-A778-67A9B88D6EEF.jpg

937BAE09-FAA6-4C45-A904-ABE585CFF848.jpg

2595DE11-68D8-42BE-BF76-5302133A0534.jpg

A8104388-A212-40E6-B78A-DC1AD55054DE.jpg

85DF118B-201E-420E-870A-045D2AAF7DA5.jpg

3CF36328-5A14-4BC6-9156-7199960B6235.jpg

780395CD-17A0-4CB8-B9BE-00F9B05E0811.jpg

F71AEA60-71AA-4212-AEBB-714D64E8282A.png.jpeg

^^^^ gotcha, didn't know that was the rule. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yes, price is in USD. Thanks Rick, I will remember to emphasize next time.

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

It's ok.... I guess.... I mean if your into masterfully crafted kitchen knives, using century old Japanese methods comparable to that of katana swords, placed in a sheath hand made and dyed by a skilled carpenter, with a handle using material selected to match said sheath, combining it with hand forged Damascus by arguably the worlds greatest master of Damascus Randy Hass to create a work of art... I mean If you like that sort of thing, I wouldn't judge you. Legit seriously amazing blade, might even be nicer than that HHH predator blade you posted awhile back(I should of bought that). Good luck with the sale, I know your going to regret it, but someone else is going to be very. very happy.

It's ok.... I guess.... I mean if your into masterfully crafted kitchen knives, using century old Japanese methods comparable to that of katana swords, placed in a sheath hand made and dyed by a skilled carpenter, with a handle using material selected to match said sheath, combining it with hand forged Damascus by arguably the worlds greatest master of Damascus Randy Hass to create a work of art... I mean If you like that sort of thing, I wouldn't judge you. Legit seriously amazing blade, might even be nicer than that HHH predator blade you posted awhile back(I should of bought that). Good luck with the sale, I know your going to regret it, but someone else is going to be very. very happy.

I would definitely hire you as my marketing agent [emoji16]

Thanks, Furminati.

Price drop to $1450, worldwide shipping and Paypal fee included.

Thanks, Furminati.

Price drop to $1450, worldwide shipping and Paypal fee included.

Who is the maker of the blade? Can you provide more info on that?
The handle/saya/color combo is definitely stunning!

Who is the maker of the blade? Can you provide more info on that?
The handle/saya/color combo is definitely stunning!

I can't link to a site that sells this blade direct but its the first thing that comes up on google. The maker is one of the best in the world and is out of Sakiai. Very few of the top makers even forge honyaki style. The handle and saya are beautifully put together with excellent materials. Especially if you like dyed woods. At the asking price you are getting a top tier blade combined with the work of two other excellent craftsman that the seller had to organize and put together. It's priced break even to less than cost.

Thank you everyone for the kind words and helping me reply to sekihk question.

As far as I know, the blade was made by the same bladesmith as the Fujiyama series, though I could be wrong. There was a thread discussing it, I will post link when I find it.

Mr. Shiraki makes this knife, Konosuke contracts him out, think of him as like a consultant, they need something super specialized that normal worker bees can't do so they hired him, the blade with a basic saya most recently sold for $1050 and will most likely go up to $1100-$1200 next wave. People want these knives and konosuke blue #2 honyaki knives are hard to come. On top of the blade which is draw dropping alone, you have about $200 in wood, between saya material and the blue dyed box elder, and ebony(that is a captain fancy pants saya)not to mention the Damascus spacers, made by randy hass, a guy who turns out $2000 knives and is a king of damascus(no idea what they cost, I am guessing around $200) You than have the cost of actually making the saya 80-100 bucks and at least another 100-120 for the handle, metal spacers are a biotch to work with, no idea if the endcap is as hard. If you had to do It again I am guessing 1650-1800 dollars, and that's if you can find a konosuke blue #2 honyaki blade, which you wont, they make shigefusa knives look like dandelions in a garden compared to a white alba hidden under a tree. If I wasn't 3ish k into knife commitments right now, I would of already bought this, it really is as close to perfection as any j-knife can be.

Mr. Shiraki makes this knife, Konosuke contracts him out, think of him as like a consultant, they need something super specialized that normal worker bees can't do so they hired him, the blade with a basic saya most recently sold for $1050 and will most likely go up to $1100-$1200 next wave. People want these knives and konosuke blue #2 honyaki knives are hard to come. On top of the blade which is draw dropping alone, you have about $200 in wood, between saya material and the blue dyed box elder, and ebony(that is a captain fancy pants saya)not to mention the Damascus spacers, made by randy hass, a guy who turns out $2000 knives and is a king of damascus(no idea what they cost, I am guessing around $200) You than have the cost of actually making the saya 80-100 bucks and at least another 100-120 for the handle, metal spacers are a biotch to work with, no idea if the endcap is as hard. If you had to do It again I am guessing 1650-1800 dollars, and that's if you can find a konosuke blue #2 honyaki blade, which you wont, they make shigefusa knives look like dandelions in a garden compared to a white alba hidden under a tree. If I wasn't 3ish k into knife commitments right now, I would of already bought this, it really is as close to perfection as any j-knife can be.

So, you decided to officially be my marketing agent, you do have a way with words. I would buy this knife if I saw your post [emoji6]. Thanks for supplying the maker's name, too.

You are not wrong with your estimate, except the fact that the labor costs for the saya and handle were more than that. This was 2 years ago, I believed price would have gone up by now.

Thank god, this was eating at me, just goes to show the power of a good choil shot.

Nah, it was all your marketing skill.

That choil shot really is killer. Congrats to buyer and seller!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back