Japanese Knives Gesshin Stone Passaround Sign up and Organization thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBroida

KKF Vendor
Founding Member
Reaction score
So, now that i finally have everything in place for this, i want to get started on figuring out how its going to work. So far, we will be including the following stones:

1. JKI Diamond 1000
  2. JKI Diamond 6000
  3. Gesshin 1000/6000 Combo
  4. Gesshin 1200 Splash and Go
  5. Gesshin 1500 Splash and Go
  6. Gesshin 2000
  7. Gesshin 220
  8. Gesshin 3000 Splash and Go
  9. Gesshin 320 Splash and Go
  10. Gesshin 400
  11. Gesshin 4000
  12. Gesshin 400s
  13. Gesshin 600 Splash and Go
  14. Gesshin 6000 Splash and Go
  15. Gesshin 6000s
  16. Gesshin 8000
  17. Gesshin Jinzo Aoto
  18. Gesshin Synthetic Natural
  19. JKI Diamond 300a (maybe... not sure yet)

What i am looking for is a small group of people in different regions willing to be responsible for receiving this package and allowing people in their area to try the stones out before passing the package along to the next location. Ideally each of these area organizers would be a longtime member here or a longtime customer of mine. How they handle the passaround in their location will likely be up to them, but i think this is probably the easiest way to deal with such a large scale passaround like this. Thoughts? Volunteers?

-Jon

Hi Jon, any idea how much shipping will cost on a box that big? Thanks

I can Host at Brightwok. Ill give KKF members 30% off food and drink (no alcohol sorry). Ill move a prep table to the dinning room and set up sharpening stations.

I wish I had a spot to host in New Orleans.

Its super generous of you to offer to send this many stones out, I also wish I had a place to host something like this

Anyone from the Twin Cities interested beside me?

Jon: how long would be ok for the stones to stay in one city? Maybe there is enough interest even if no one can host a single get together. We could move them from place to place every couple days.

i'm ok with a week or two... but if it needs to be more or less, we can work it out. I dont think we've ever done a passaround like this before, so i'm pretty open to whatever works best as we figure it all out.

I'll be living in Chicago until June, just let me know when to show up to Brightwok with some test blades!

cool... sounds like a plan...

anyone in NY, NorCal, Seattle, or the south interested in hosting?

I'm happy to host at portland at our ramen shop if enough folks can come after closing (9pm) we have lots of prep tables and I'd love to make it a staff education things as well.

cool... i'll leave this open until the end of the month and then we'll start organizing based on what we have

just wanted to touch base over here...
so far i see chicago, detroit, and portland. As for the ECG, who is handling that? I would be game to send these out in time for that. Where is the ECG taking place this year?

Anyone else interested in hosting something like this?

ECG is in May in Norhern VA (outside DC).
WildBoar and Bill13 are the main hosts. (To the best of my knowledge--sorry if there are others involved I'm not aware of).

That's correct. It will be a weather decision, but we live about 20 minutes apart so it should not matter for those driving longer distances.
Jon I've been eying some stuff in your store so I will place an order shortly and everything can be mailed at once.

Thanks again for offering this!

I've already discussed with wildboar about sending the stones his way... what are the ecg dates again?

Any clue on when I could expect the eagle to land in portland? Hoping to get a good turn out of kkf people, industry folks, and hobby/pro craftsman from the area to geek out so a date range would be beneficial.

I'm definitely in for the Chicago leg.

Jon—maybe the owners of Metier would be interested in hosting something in Austin? They still carry a few Gesshin knives, right?

Any clue on when I could expect the eagle to land in portland? Hoping to get a good turn out of kkf people, industry folks, and hobby/pro craftsman from the area to geek out so a date range would be beneficial.

i'm working out the details this weekend so i can ship before i leave

so, we got all of the stones packed safely and have sent out PM's regarding the ship dates and what not... the case came out to 56lbs, and will run about $55 via fedex ground from me to the east coast (so less than that for all of the subsequent shipments). If all goes well, this will go from the DC area to detroit, chicago, austin (maybe), and portland. If anyone else wants to host the stones, let me know.

Back