Now, I know the easiest way is to email Marsim and have him take care of all of it but ideally, I'd like to learn about them so I can identify stones and be able to judge just based on the knowledge. Here is what I know and what confuses me. I also read Marsim's page and it is a good start but it still does not answer many of the questions and when I watch his great videos, when he says say: hakka lvl2, I know it means on the soft side, but that's about it.
1. I know they are sorted by Mine hardness, how quick they cut, and how easy to use.
Here is what confuses me:
1. How do I determine the grit? Just saying final stone or finishing stone, IMO is not precise enough because it could be 8000 or 20000 grit. I know that if a stone starts at 8000 it may breakdown to 20000 naturally, but still unless it specifically stated so, how would one know this?
2. What are all the other words after the mine name, for example: I know some stones have special names for non-toxic lines (beauty lines?). Maybe color? or something else?
3. Some stones have like #25 or #100. Is it some kind of chart? If so, could someone provide a link to me?
4. Lastly, since most people here agree that Japanese naturals or synthetic stones are the best (with few exceptions of high end european finishing stones like Escher, coticules), maybe a detailed thread can be established with the information.