New Guy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutting_Edge

Reaction score
I am currently in Ecuador, moving back to the states in a month or two. Pennsylvania most likely.
I worked in kitchens from dishwasher up to chef. Not schooled but just real life. Got burned out on it and now I just cook at home.

Welcome. I have a friend on his way home to Ecuador for a visit tomorrow . Safe journey .

Thanks everyone for the welcomes!

I first had a set of Berghoff's. Then I got a set of Gerber's from the 70's I miss them a lot.Not for cutting but the feel.

Once i got into the kitchen doing tons of prep I was using all German and Swedish.

I got divorced and lot a lot of good knives. The upside is I tried a Japanese Hybrid Nakiri Global Sai I LOVE this knife so much I am a convert. I moved to Ecuador a year ago and all I do is prep. On average I prep three hours a day. I make food for three people and 3 dogs, 2 cats. It involves a LOT of prep. And nothing comes in a box or can here. I make EVERYTHING from scratch.

I am relocating back to the US in early May. I can't wait! The only knifes here are complete junk. Not even custom makers....it's a dry desert for even a decent stone. I will slowly add to my stable. I even hope to try my hand at making some saya's and handle's. I can try on a paring knife that cost me a buck and not get upset if I realize I suck at it. If I am good, I will have some fun and do quite a few.

I plan to keep the same level of prep up once I move. I want to avoid cans and boxed food.

I want to re profile a Sab for harder veg. but everything else will be Japanese.

Back