Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Stefan-needs-new-toys Sale

Hi Stefan - hope this finds you well (& finals over? soon anyway). I updated your spreadsheet to reflect the handles are for two different 225 gyutos. The blades are ready to ship just send me PM.

thx

Any updates on this project? I never filled out the sheet, for whatever reason I completely spaced out on this and do not want to miss out

Ummm...yeah. What's the status on this, Stefan? Making progress?
    “Though I could not caution all, I still might warn a few; Don’t lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools.” Robert Hunter

I was trying to hold off on commenting on this but have had enough…

My last email from him was on April 28th in response to an email on April 27th. Needed a few days to finish grading, then work on prep for fall courses… was told "I expect to spend a lot of time amidst saw dust in the coming weeks. Will keep you posted and follow up soon. "

It's been pretty much a month, and more than that since Stefan was last online. I patiently waited and have also discussed this with five others on the prebuy… some who were eager to have their handles done earlier (eg they sent knives around Xmas, are moving out of the country, etc.). Since I had six I thought I'd volunteer to be bumped back so Stefan could focus on the smaller orders. Well let's say I was incredibly disappointed to learn nothing has been done… I'd be surprised if anyone else is an exception.

I haven't even seen a WIP picture for any handles or even a workshop, just a shelf of wood earlier in the thread. Maybe I'm paranoid because of what happened with Mikey, but this is starting to feel like a scam… it's been well over a year since we paid in full and approaching the one year anniversary of the completion date.

I sent another email yesterday:
    -finally expressing my disappointment with his performance (I was understanding up until then thinking he was working on smaller orders),
    -advising I am reducing my order from 6 to 3 handles,
    -demanding (in the pure literal sense of the word) a 50% refund of my $750,
    -advising that some of my wood will need to be shipped promptly to a third party,
    -communicated an expectation that he respond promptly.

If I do not hear back I will contact him at his work, and I will not stop there…
    "A dull knife means you're a ******* loser" – Matty Matheson

So close to NYC I would say NYC ... but don't tell a native New Yorker!
    I'm the one mentioned as moving out of the country.

I don't want to bash Stefan as I honestly think he's a genuinely nice and great person, based on the conversations we had.

For whatever reason he wasn't able to fulfill any orders (as far as I know). And yes, I am disappointed at this point. I paid upfront over a year ago and sent my knife some time earlier this year, I think.

We always had an understanding (or I thought we did) that the knife would be finished before I move overseas, because I didn't want to deal with customs, especially not paying import fees and taxes on a knife I already owned before .... and could've just put in the container without any customs fees or import taxes.

I had mentioned that I would prefer to get the knife with his handle. He offered to send the knife back and refund the money a couple of weeks ago. I gave him my address, he knew/knows that I'm moving this week.

I don't have my knife.

So yes, I'm not happy about how this turned out. Sill hoping it can be resolved. But at this point I agree with @aboynamedsuita and feel it needs to be openly discussed here.

If we don't hear back from him soon I'll take it a step farther, I am supremely disappointed by this given his long standing at KKF and his reputation(I am in it for three handles) Trust me I want the handles but at this point I almost dont think his work is worth being in my collection. Honestly I don't even know what to say at this point that hasn\t been said/ We gave him money in good faith that he would use it to set up shop and bang out some handles for us and he pulled a Pierre and disappeared. If we don't hear back I will personally Email his department head/ university chair and explain the situation... I am disheartened by this, but it doesn't take a year to make 20 handles, fudge it wouldnt even take that long to make 20 damascus super gyutos with custom unicorn handles and dragonscale sayas.
    La bonne cuisine est la base du véritable bonheur. -August Escoffier

So close to NYC I would say NYC ... but don't tell a native New Yorker!
    Quote Originally Posted by Godslayer View Post
    If we don't hear back from him soon I'll take it a step farther, I am supremely disappointed by this given his long standing at KKF and his reputation(I am in it for three handles) Trust me I want the handles but at this point I almost dont think his work is worth being in my collection. Honestly I don't even know what to say at this point that hasn\t been said/ We gave him money in good faith that he would use it to set up shop and bang out some handles for us and he pulled a Pierre and disappeared. If we don't hear back I will personally Email his department head/ university chair and explain the situation... I am disheartened by this, but it doesn't take a year to make 20 handles, fudge it wouldnt even take that long to make 20 damascus super gyutos with custom unicorn handles and dragonscale sayas.
    One thing I have to say in his defense, whatever it's worth: he didn't disappear. He's been communicating/replying to emails .... but that still doesn't change that nothing happened so far!

Add me to the list of disappointed paying customers. I pre paid for two handles and sent over a couple blocks of wood and am still waiting on any progress. I did communicate with him last week via email and he said he was going to get started on them this past sunday, but idk what happened. Im not sure if I want to wait any further for the handles or ask for a refund and my wood back. Im just glad I didnt ship out my knives a while back like I had originally planned. I hope to see some progress some way somehow soon.

FWIW, he was laid up sick last week/ over the weekend.

Hi, I was just alerted to the activity here. True, I haven't been on here for a while, several crises around the end of the semester and then sick on and off for a while.

I can understand everyone's frustration, believe me I am not happy myself. I seem to have an ongoing tendency to overestimate what I can do. Between work keeping me busy, not getting any younger, and an bunch of health issues, this is all not going the way I wanted to. I have done this individually a few times, and I am doing it again: My apologies for this frustrating situation and my thanks to all of you who have been so patient.

That said, it will actually get worse: I originally really had planned to spend a lot of the summer woodworking and finally catching up, but it turns out that my parents' health is not all that great and I have not had either money or time to visit them in the past 3 years. Because of that, I will be traveling to Germany for 4 weeks, and before that I need to meet with a number of colleagus in RI and Boston. This means, realistically, I will not even get to anything before July 22 when I get back from Germany.

I am definitely not trying to scam anybody here, it's really more overestimation of what I can do than anything else. I did set up my shop, and it is 95% complete and functional, but I just can't seem to make any progress. My plan had been all along to finish this prepaid batch and then just offer things when they are done in hope somebody wants them. Obviously, the other model does not work well for me. To be honest, had I known how this would develop, I would have sold off my stuff rather than set up a new shop.

Please let me know what I should do. I am definitely prepared to reimburse everyone any money they paid upfront and send back anything you sent to me on my dime. If you want me to do that, please let me know soon so I can get things out soon - I need to get them out before June 4; reimbursements can be sent immediately. Please contact me at kellers at hawaii.edu, my outgoing mail server for the other mail address has issues. If there is anything else you want me to do, please let me now.

Thanks,

Stefan