Gyuto vs petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rami_m

Reaction score
What is the difference between a 180mm gyuto and a 180 mm petty? Profile and grind wise.
Actually what is the difference between a gyuto a petty and a suji in that length?

Rami it depends on the makers preference . 180 petty will be a short suji for me at 36-38mm height vs 180 gyuto being 42-44+mm tall .
Petty can be ground thinner since there is less friction due to the lack of the height but again this is just my opinion

Petty will also have flatter profile as it does not have enough blade height for more belly. The gyuto can be both. Grind - everything is possible there, really. If the petty is meant as a short suji it may come with more pronounced convex (or wide bevel) profile so that it minimises friction on meat. If the petty would be ground too thin it would quickly become too 'bendy' as the blade lacks the height. The gyuto can be very thin where it counts while still be reasonably thin. Just my opinion, of course.

Back