Kato Carbon clad vs 'unclad' knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure they are all carbon clad. I've never seen a mono Kato. Maksim probably just forgot to add a part of the description.

Pretty sure they are all carbon clad. I've never seen a mono Kato. Maksim probably just forgot to add a part of the description.

Exactly. If you read the description, the phrase "...an extra degree of hardness not often seen in regular clad knives." implies that this is a clad knife.

The JNS descriptions basically preach to the converted, and there's often an assumption that you're a KKF regular or other and know a thing or two. Descriptions could be a lot better, but with experience you can figure some stuff out.

If you find a kato non clad knife. You dont post here and just pm me. I'll test it out. #katohonyaki would be an amazing unicorn.

Kato is a sword maker, so he's very capable of Honyaki blades.

I know. I just have never seen one. Would be sweet though. Actually a Kato sword would be even sweeter. Albeit I think they probably cost as much as a new vette.

A Kato honyaki...now imagine the pricetag on that... :) Should buy you a pretty decent car...

A Kato Honyaki would be a sight! Would be priced far beyond my means!

I've not owned a honyaki, but of the sanmai blades I've had I imagine the Katos already come closer to honyaki than others. Stiff and the cladding is relatively hard. Maybe there'd be less of a difference compared to other makers if a honyaki came out?

I'm guessing it wouldn't be car pricing. Probably just a smidge more than his damascus line. Shig western kitegi(I mispelt that) sorta pricing as I'm guessing he'd upgrade the handle a smidge.

I'm guessing he'd upgrade the handle a smidge.

If you're talking about Workhorses then Maxim told me the handles are from Kato or something to that effect, which didn't make sense to me since they have always seemed to be from the same Sanjo (I think) maker that Maxim used to sell ho and chestnut spare handles from and which he will install on various knives, including Kato. So I think what he meant was that Kato has specified the handle size. At any rate, the only other handle I've ever seen on Kato, Workhorse or not, is ho and that'd be completely normal for a J-maker, even if some makers will sometimes stick on more 'special' handles for the foreign market.

I've not owned a honyaki, but of the sanmai blades I've had I imagine the Katos already come closer to honyaki than others. Stiff and the cladding is relatively hard. Maybe there'd be less of a difference compared to other makers if a honyaki came out?

You are correct. The closest thing to my Honyaki In terms of feel and resonance is my Kato. The Kato is a very hard knife.

Back