Sous Vide Sous Who (2)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveb

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score
Some friends and I got together and had a second Sous Vide dinner. Unlike most dinner groups, in this one everyone likes to cook - and some are pretty good at it.

We had (at my best count) 8 Anovas, 1 Sansaire, and 2 Sous Vide Supremes represented.

SV%203%20on%20the%20porch.jpg

2%20in%20the%20kitchen.jpg

Some of the dishes:

Host slicing short ribs off the bone. Note the 500 yr old Rapala

Ed%20Slicing%20Short%20Ribs.jpg

Sliced Short Ribs

SV%20Short%20Ribs.jpg

Another Short Rib dish - shredded then served over Risotto. My favorite of day.

Shredded%20Shortrib%20on%20Risotto.jpg

Fish are swimming. Salmon, Redfish and Wahoo Wahoo!

SV%20Fish%20Salmon%20and%20Wahoo.jpg

And more meat. SV Ribs, Pork Loin, Chicken finished on grill. SV Chicken Breasts pan seared for the ladies....

P_20160228_172702_HDR.jpg

SV Ginger Beets, Curried Carrots, Califlower Puree

SV%20Beets%2C%20Carrots%2C%20Cali.jpg

And Handmade Truffles. Not SV but who am I to complain....

SV%20Truffles.jpg

A good time was had by all.

So which one is the best? The Anova seems to have the nicest design and the most features.

So which one is the best? The Anova seems to have the nicest design and the most features.

Not the SVS. It''s quiet, reliable, but $400+ and takes up too much real estate.

I bought Anova cause they were out when I was shopping. Anova, Sansaire, Nomiku are pretty much functionally equal. (So is Poly Science "home" circulator but it's $399 and offers no repair after warranty) Bluetooth has some uses. Wi-Fi, IMO, is a gimmick thats been added cause they can, not because there's any application for it. If I was buying another it would be another Anova.

Buying the circulator is only half the adventure. Buying a sealer, strip sealer vs chamber sealer, sub $100 units vs $600 and up units, is the hard part.

Nomiku has the best weekly newsletter by far.

Looks like a good time Dave! Love me some beets & cauliflower. And short rib risotto...I gotta try that.
A little light on knife pics though. :whistling:

Painfully bereft of knife pics. (I did not have the camera....) But this one has some local resonance though you can only see the handle. Friend (and host) has a POS serrated POS knife that was her favorite knife in the world. Did I mention it's a POS? Cheap stainless, thick, short, can't imagine what it would be used for, but her favorite. Handle broke. She asked me if I could "fix" it. This was back in day when IBurger was giving handles away as fast as he could make them. I asked him about a handle for this one and a couple weeks later received a package from Russia. Very nice. But the knife had no tang. After some convo with KKnerd I sent him the knife and the handle and a couple weeks later received a package from NC with knife and handle happily married. Returned knife to friend and she's delighted. Once again uses it for everything - and tells the story to anyone that will listen about a bunch of knife junkies all over the world...

SV%20Meat%20Platter%20w%20knife.jpg

Back