JCK Blue Moon series

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeper

Reaction score
Hi,

I was about to purchase a masagake yuki santoku but came across the JCK Blue Moon series which is steel clad carbon with similar aesthetics. And much cheaper.

Any one got any experience with how this series is ootb and how they are more generally?!

Thanks

B

99.99% sure it's a relabelled tadafusa, defiantly a good knife for the money, I also have a masakage yuki, albeit neither are santoku, The Yuki is significantly better in the fit and finish department, looking more complete, it also has a better ootb edge. I am unsure how the tadafusa is produced but it is certainly a rushed job, not a bad first knife though, OOTB edge is meh, it'll cut and cut things well, you can definatly make it sharper though if you have any sharpening skill, the steel is good though and the stainless cladding makes knife care a breeze. I am planning on rehandling my 210 gyuto as it was my first jknife, which I bought for 200 cad lol, at knifewear, when I saw the bluemoon line I actually got a little mad, but atleast it got me started on the journey and for that I am thankful.

99.99% sure it's a relabelled tadafusa, defiantly a good knife for the money, I also have a masakage yuki, albeit neither are santoku, The Yuki is significantly better in the fit and finish department, looking more complete, it also has a better ootb edge. I am unsure how the tadafusa is produced but it is certainly a rushed job, not a bad first knife though, OOTB edge is meh, it'll cut and cut things well, you can definatly make it sharper though if you have any sharpening skill, the steel is good though and the stainless cladding makes knife care a breeze. I am planning on rehandling my 210 gyuto as it was my first jknife, which I bought for 200 cad lol, at knifewear, when I saw the bluemoon line I actually got a little mad, but atleast it got me started on the journey and for that I am thankful.

Hmmmm Thanks for your input!

I am not the most competent of sharpeners to be honest. This makes me lean to paying more for a 'good' start OOTB as opposed to trying to polish up a rougher knife (and probably making it worse).

In short, is the Yuki worth approx 30% more than the relabelled tadafusa? Had a google and tadafusa knives eem to get quite a mixed response...

Thanks again!

after using both a yuki and tadafusa i personally think the yuki is the better deal. better f+f, grinds and a sharper edge. you will want some coarse stones and a lot of free time to bring the tadafusa up to scratch. i personally found it rewarding after finishing thinning out the tadafusa but for me it was about understanding the work involved when you purchase a high end knife. the performance is outstanding now although a little rugged.

after using both a yuki and tadafusa i personally think the yuki is the better deal. better f+f, grinds and a sharper edge. you will want some coarse stones and a lot of free time to bring the tadafusa up to scratch. i personally found it rewarding after finishing thinning out the tadafusa but for me it was about understanding the work involved when you purchase a high end knife. the performance is outstanding now although a little rugged.

Again, thanks for the input.
The more I hear, the more I lean to the Yuki - paying for a true skill

Back