What's the coolest thing you can do with a kitchen knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lentebriesje

Reaction score
Hi guys,

What's the coolest thing you can do with a kitchen knife?

What leaves you impressed, as people who are (probably) very hard to be impressed by kitchen knives anymore.

Horizontal push cutting a tomato? Cutting julliene at near inhuman speed?

That's kinda the normal stuff right, what are the real extreme sports when it comes to kitchen knives? Juggling with ones knives aside :p

Coolest thing I've ever seen anyone do with a kitchen knife is make a nice meal for some loved ones.

Coolest thing I've ever seen anyone do with a kitchen knife is make a nice meal for some loved ones.

Nice One. For me it's to perfectly fillet a fish. The one thing that (probably due to lack of practice) I s*** at.... :knife:

Participate in an internet purchasing arms race, with a view to hoarding them. That or shaving body hair.

/jk

For me, seeing some of the traditional J-knives at work, especially deba, and being used with skill. Something I'm pretty beginner at so I appreciate it, especially where different approaches and different techniques are used for different fish. I also like to see usuba at work, such as with katsuramuki.

Coolest thing I can do? Not much, but I'm always working on it. One of the coolest things I've seen is peeling fruit/veggies with a gyuto better than I can with a peeler.

My friend reported recently that he managed to shave his face with 210 Itinomonn (V2). He claims 0 stiches ;) That did impress me as he does not use a straight razor. I would not dare to try that to be honest. And surely not with such a large knife.

Coolest thing I saw was Hiroyuki Sakai peeling an apple with a nenohi suji , made me more interested in finer knives , most satisfying thing for me is to test a knife after first sharpening

I once saw a guy make a smiley face in a watermelon with one cut.

My friend reported recently that he managed to shave his face with 210 Itinomonn (V2). He claims 0 stiches ;) That did impress me as he does not use a straight razor. I would not dare to try that to be honest. And surely not with such a large knife.

This is a friend of mine:

[video=youtube;nFMyMG6v9lM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFMyMG6v9lM[/video]

The coolest thing I can do with a kitchen knife is help remind every boy who knows my daughter understand she's my pride and joy, not his trophy. Shotgun is option #2

I seem to remember some year back a woman named Lorena Bobbitt did something with a kitchen knife that some other women thought was pretty cool. Not sure it was popular with guys though.

A better look.

[video=youtube;bcpBh0f4bzI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcpBh0f4bzI[/video]

Performance testing a knife by a maker you don't know yet. As demonstrated by Salty:

[video=youtube_share;DbNWye6z_WM]http://youtu.be/DbNWye6z_WM[/video]

That is NOT me!

That is Salty. He doesn't come around anymore but he really knows how to evaluate knives. His YouTube channel is worth looking at if you liked that one.

That is NOT me!

That is Salty. He doesn't come around anymore but he really knows how to evaluate knives. His YouTube channel is worth looking at if you liked that one.

Oops, read your post too fast and didn't realize! Yeah, I've watched a bunch of his vids. He demeanor does seem quite...salty.

Coolest thing with a kitchen knife? I once saw someone grate stuff straight on the blade. Lemon, garlic, cheese, absolutely everything! ;)

Back