Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me design perfect knife

Help me design a perfect knife

Hi, my name is Michael and most of the time i have spent on knives.pl and knifeforums.com, but I have registered here recently.

My friend who is knifemaker in Poland has asked me recently to design a perfect knife for me:

This is what I have decided so far
    Blade length 225-230mm
    Blade width 49-50mm
    Blade thickness 2 - 2.5mm
    Steel: N690 or D2 (61 HRC)
    Grind: I have problem with choosing right grind: Full Flat 60/40, 70/30 or Convex (I've seen SaltyDog's videos comparing different grinds)

Knife shapes that I find interesting:

Murray Carter

Devin Thomas ITK Western

Konosuke HD

Takayuki Grand Chef Wa

Some of the examples of his previous work:

I would not use D2 for a kitchen knife.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Bladowski for a Polish knife sounds like someones sense of humor.........
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

But a good sales gimmick like having the last name Bowie or the first name Dirk.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Bladowski for a Polish knife sounds like someones sense of humor.........

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I would not use D2 for a kitchen knife.
    Yoshikane, Sakon/ Damask use SKD11 which is D2, so way do you think is a bad idea to use D2 in the kitchen cutlery??

Yoshihiro uses SKD11 core also.

-AJ

D2 is semistainless, but I don't understand why a professional blade maker will use it. There are far more better steels out there i.e.: 52100

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
    Yoshikane, Sakon/ Damask use SKD11 which is D2, so way do you think is a bad idea to use D2 in the kitchen cutlery??
    It is not a best steel for kitchen cutlery. Because of the carbides size and type, D2 will perform better as a field knife. But that said, you can make a kitchen knife from any steel. The subject of this thread, however, is to help making a perfect knife, so it might be worth it to look at other steels.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

I'm not even a knife expert but this smells foul to me. The best material for any application is the one that does the job within it's constraints. You can't define a best steel based on it's chemistry when you are measuring performance values like sharpness, edge retention etc.

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    I'm not even a knife expert but this smells foul to me. The best material for any application is the one that does the job within it's constraints. You can't define a best steel based on it's chemistry when you are measuring performance values like sharpness, edge retention etc.

-AJ
    You are right. Perfect is a relative term. No argument here. I just haven't seen D2 being used much outside field knives. I think there are stainless steels that might be a better choice, but it is all relative.

M