Quantcast
Help me design perfect knife
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me design perfect knife

Help me design a perfect knife

Hi, my name is Michael and most of the time i have spent on knives.pl and knifeforums.com, but I have registered here recently.

My friend who is knifemaker in Poland has asked me recently to design a perfect knife for me:

This is what I have decided so far
    Blade length 225-230mm
    Blade width 49-50mm
    Blade thickness 2 - 2.5mm
    Steel: N690 or D2 (61 HRC)
    Grind: I have problem with choosing right grind: Full Flat 60/40, 70/30 or Convex (I've seen SaltyDog's videos comparing different grinds)

Knife shapes that I find interesting:

Murray Carter

Devin Thomas ITK Western

Konosuke HD

Takayuki Grand Chef Wa

Some of the examples of his previous work:

I would not use D2 for a kitchen knife.

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Bladowski for a Polish knife sounds like someones sense of humor.........
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

But a good sales gimmick like having the last name Bowie or the first name Dirk.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Bladowski for a Polish knife sounds like someones sense of humor.........

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I would not use D2 for a kitchen knife.
    Yoshikane, Sakon/ Damask use SKD11 which is D2, so way do you think is a bad idea to use D2 in the kitchen cutlery??

Yoshihiro uses SKD11 core also.

-AJ

D2 is semistainless, but I don't understand why a professional blade maker will use it. There are far more better steels out there i.e.: 52100

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
    Yoshikane, Sakon/ Damask use SKD11 which is D2, so way do you think is a bad idea to use D2 in the kitchen cutlery??
    It is not a best steel for kitchen cutlery. Because of the carbides size and type, D2 will perform better as a field knife. But that said, you can make a kitchen knife from any steel. The subject of this thread, however, is to help making a perfect knife, so it might be worth it to look at other steels.

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

I'm not even a knife expert but this smells foul to me. The best material for any application is the one that does the job within it's constraints. You can't define a best steel based on it's chemistry when you are measuring performance values like sharpness, edge retention etc.

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    I'm not even a knife expert but this smells foul to me. The best material for any application is the one that does the job within it's constraints. You can't define a best steel based on it's chemistry when you are measuring performance values like sharpness, edge retention etc.

-AJ
    You are right. Perfect is a relative term. No argument here. I just haven't seen D2 being used much outside field knives. I think there are stainless steels that might be a better choice, but it is all relative.

M

-Niels Bohr

+ Reply to Thread