Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP Honesuki

Nice radius on that choil.
    “Though I could not caution all, I still might warn a few; Don’t lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools.” Robert Hunter

Thanks. I'll round it off after the heat treat. Wondering if I should send the blade to a knife specific heat treater or take it to my local tool and die. This is tool steel after all, but guys that specialize is blades might be the better choice. Just means a longer wait as the blade guys are 3500km away.

well that idea worked.

I've got the handle wood in the pickle. Going with black wood and wenge with a black and white spacer.

A flat strike vs an angle strike.

back from the heat treat. no warping of any kind. I brought the blade into CAD so I could check the handle size. Everything looks to scale, I should be able to use the same plans for my Deba handle. I like the subtle taper and feel of that handle.

set the hollow back on the belt sander with a shaped wedge below the platton. Seems to work ok. I can go back and even it out. I'm setting the bevel and the faces with my 220 wetstone. I'll progress to higher grits on the bevel only as polishing the flats is a waste of stone. This D2 does not like to abrade.

already paper cutting and not even past 220 grit stone.

Stopped working on the blade and finished the handle. Tang slot is tighter than a Balinese pole dancer. Just a test fit for now. I will finish the blade and give the handle a light sanding tomorrow. Should be done before the weekend.

So are you a vendor pro craftsmen now or what? Polish the blade and handle, smooth the edge and people would think that's a very expensive honesuki. Very very nice work

Thanks. It's been a fun project. Still a long way to go before it's done. I expect the polishing to take a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Godslayer View Post
    So are you a vendor pro craftsmen now or what? Polish the blade and handle, smooth the edge and people would think that's a very expensive honesuki. Very very nice work

handle is ready for oil.

and a my belt sander setup for making the beast with two hollow backs.