EU Gesshin stones passaround - register here

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
KKF Supporting Craftsman
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello!

As described & discussed in detail in the other thread - here is the official thread for Gesshin EU passaround organized by me and Krakorak (Jan).

The Following stones are included:
- Gesshin 400 (soaking stone)
- Gesshin 2000 (soaking stone)
- Gesshin 4000 (soaking stone)
- Gesshin 6000 (S&G stone)

If you are interested to join please just answer to this thread. Once the names are collected I will announce the order. If you have preferences (because of work or vacations) please mention them in your answer. I will do my best to find the right time slot for you.

Those who have expressed their interested in the previous thread will all get PM soon as a reminder, so they do not miss the passaround.

Rules:
- Who is eligible: if you live in EU, are an active user here on KKF then you are most welcome to join.
- Timing: Each user has 2 weeks. That makes it about 1 week to use the stones and 1 week to let them dry (depending where you live the drying of the soaking stones may take up to 5 days). Plus one week to get the stones shipped to next person. That makes it 3 weeks in total per participant. Give or take, as always.
- Shipping: I have packed the stone safely and in such a way (no scotch tape apart from the outer box) that you should be able to re-pack them. The package weights just under 5kg and it should stay that way to avoid unnecessary costs. Please ship the package insured to a value of at least 300€
- Should you feel that the stones need flattening and you have the option to do that, than do not hesitate to flatten them. In particular the 400 dishes relatively fast.
- I will include a short note with some information about the stone

I would like to ship the stone to the first participant in about 2 weeks (8th of April)

No-nonsense-clause:
I am fully aware that shipping & handling such a relatively fragile items bears risks. .$hit happens from time to time - should you accidentally damage some of the stones, I will not hold you responsible for a refund or replacement. Just try to handle the stones with care and use insured shipping. In a case of accident just let me know (via this thread) and we will see what can be done. Should the package arrived damaged please check the contents and in case of damage to the stones provide full information to the person who shipped the stones, so he/she can file a claim with the shipping company.

I will not collect the addresses of all participants, just from the first one. Once the order is agreed on, please just communicate your shipping address with the person that should be shipping the stones to you.

If you have any questions or comments - please post them here.

And of course - share here your views on these stones. I am curios how they compare to other stones you guys use.

Let's get the ball rolling :)

Sorry but I have to pass on this one. I had "misremembered" these were all S&G.

In. Preferably 'last'; I live close to the border so I can actually send the package from back to Matus from within Germany to save on shipping. :)

And once again thanks for making this all happen!

Good morning! Hahaha :D just needed to share this. Woke up today to a nightmare! In my dream I had just received the stones and the Gesshin 400 melted into a pile of mud when I first put it in water. I was so worried about what to do with it, trying to arrange the mud back into a stone shape. Also the 2000 stone was very small, about 2 inches long, didn't know why.

Size has little to do with performance ;) But for the future do remember, that those red pills are not sleeping pills :D

the blue ones aren't either ;) im in, but would like to be somewhere at the end to save shipping cost, as im in germany as well.

Update: Since I got some nasty gut bug yesterday (I'll spare you the details), the passaround will start soonest on 9th of April - so you guys have still have plenty of time to join :)

So, so far we have the following 5 names with the following preferences:

Devon_Steven (UK)
andur (? - PM sent)
krx927 (NL)
Jovidah (NL, preferably 'last')
berko (DE, last last as the stones start and end in DE)

Unless more people will join we could start soon - I could ship the stones on the coming Saturday. I will keep you posted.

The board is still open if you would like to join :)

Wasn't mark76 interested? Or was he still too busy?

Matus,

Just a correction. You should mark me as BE ;)

So, let's get the ball rolling:

I would propose following order of the passaround:

Devon_Steven (UK)
andur (EST)
krx927 (BE)
Jovidah (NL)
berko (DE)

If everyone is OK with that, than I would kindly ask Devon to PM his shipping address and we can start! :)

Sadly these are not really the Gesshin stones I would like to try (not a criticism) and I'm not sure I have the time I would need at the moment. But I do want thank you Matus for going forward with this.

Sadly these are not really the Gesshin stones I would like to try (not a criticism) and I'm not sure I have the time I would need at the moment. But I do want thank you Matus for going forward with this.

Yeah, Jon has way too many stones to make everyone happy with just 4 in passaround :) But just out of curiosity - which stones would you be interested in trying?

But just out of curiosity - which stones would you be interested in trying?
The ones I have had my eyes on for some time now are the Gesshin 600, Natural Synthetic and to a lesser extent (since my understanding is that it is very close to the JNS 6000 which I own) the Gesshin 6000.

The Synthetic Natural is a great stone and for me the perfect finisher. Not quite as hard or fast as the 4000, but very nice feel and if you need to smoothen some wide bevel (though Kasumi finish is not its main strength) it will create just the right amount of mud. The edge it leaves has enough bite for tomato skin, but does not feel coarse. Bite-wise I would put it between the 4000 and 6000 (closer to 4000 though). I love this stone since the first time I used it.

Yes - I found the Gesshin 6000 and JNS 6000 to be very comparable in feel and performance. Both are very nice stones.

You know what - Robin also had interest only in S&G stones - maybe I could arrange for you guys a mini pass-around with the Synthetic Natural if you were interested.

What drives your interest in the 600 - are you looking for a 2 stone sollution? If yes I could imagine that 600 + Synthetic natural could work in a pinch (I have not used the 600, so this is just a guess). I would probably ask Jon before I would go with something like that. But if 600 + 6000 is supposed to work, than why not.

Yeah. Ever since seeing Jon use and talk about the Synth Natural in his live stream videos I have been curious about it. I would definitely need to gather a bit more information from Jon though, notably if it can work well for micro-bevels and uraoshi sharpening, or if the Gesshin/JNS 6000 are a better suited for those tasks.

Otherwise, regarding the JNS 600, back in the day I was indeed looking for a minimalist setup. I would have got a Gesshin 600 + 6000 but sadly Jon was out for long time and I needed some stones so I went with the JNS 800 + 6000 instead. These days, the reason is more because I am having some issues with my JNS 800 and I might need a replacement.

Yeah, the Gesshin 600 and JNS 800 are going to be quite different stones. My short impression from the JNS 800 was positive - I think it should make great work on wide bevels. Just for the edge I would prefer harder stone I suppose.

The Synthetic Natural could be good enough for uraoshi, but the 6000 might just be better as to my naive understanding one tends to put finer (less teeth) edge on single bevel knives, but I really have basically 0 experience with single bevel knives. You should really talk to Jon. However the Synthetic natural does great job for me with microbevels - I use asymmetric ones as Jon teaches :)

The JNS 800 is a great stone, but I have a weird problem with mine in that flattening it revealed a crack going through the middle of the stone lengthwise. And since revealing the crack, the stone seems to not hold water as well as usual. The way this happened boggles my mind. I don't know how it will evolve but that is what I mean by probably needing a replacement.

That sounds like a production problem - give Maxim a call (once he is back from Japan)

The passaround has officially started - the stones are on their way to Devon.

Devon, I will PM you the tracking information tonight.

I'm looking forward to recieving these stones and I'll post a review of my experience.

As a bit of background, this is the stone set-up I've been using since getting into J-Knives some 18 months ago...

IMG_5349.JPG

What you see here is:

- Suehero stone tray;
- Naniwa Professional 400 (green);
- Sigma Power Select II 1200 (white);
- Sigma Power ceramic #6000 'Jinzo-renge-suita' (renge/pink);
- iWood #300 diamond plate; and
- a piece of balsa wood.

To this lot I recently added a Shapton Pro 'Moss' #220. I had bought the Naniwa Professional 400 for heavier metal removal, it's a lovely stone, but a bit slow... perhaps because it is (allegedly***) more like a 600 on the JIS scale.

I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of edge the 2000 and 4000 put on my knives. Up to now, I have had the option of 1200 or 6000, but nothing in between, and I read that the inbetweens are to many people's tastes.

It will also be interesting to see how the stones compare in feel to mine (e.g. Sigma #6000 v Gesshin #6000 and Naniwa #400 v Gesshin #400).

***see https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VaTf3MXuwuvH-QLwOci4f9B9Zhkbuu1wjoSCZIUsR-o/htmlview
which I found here http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/printthread.php?t=856708&pp=40
and note that there are no sources for these data so I can't say anything about the veracity of the information (nor do I know anything about the forum that it has been posted on)

Steven (in Devon, UK)

Hi Andur,

The status is, I have just finished using the stones (literally, I was tidying up while you were writing your post above).

Apologies for not getting finished sooner, work and childcare committments got in the way.

Anyway, the stones are now drying on a rack in the garage.

I'll pm you in a moment for your address.

Best wishes
Steven

Back