Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EU Gesshin stones passaround - register here

Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    But just out of curiosity - which stones would you be interested in trying?
    The ones I have had my eyes on for some time now are the Gesshin 600, Natural Synthetic and to a lesser extent (since my understanding is that it is very close to the JNS 6000 which I own) the Gesshin 6000.

The Synthetic Natural is a great stone and for me the perfect finisher. Not quite as hard or fast as the 4000, but very nice feel and if you need to smoothen some wide bevel (though Kasumi finish is not its main strength) it will create just the right amount of mud. The edge it leaves has enough bite for tomato skin, but does not feel coarse. Bite-wise I would put it between the 4000 and 6000 (closer to 4000 though). I love this stone since the first time I used it.

Yes - I found the Gesshin 6000 and JNS 6000 to be very comparable in feel and performance. Both are very nice stones.

You know what - Robin also had interest only in S&G stones - maybe I could arrange for you guys a mini pass-around with the Synthetic Natural if you were interested.

What drives your interest in the 600 - are you looking for a 2 stone sollution? If yes I could imagine that 600 + Synthetic natural could work in a pinch (I have not used the 600, so this is just a guess). I would probably ask Jon before I would go with something like that. But if 600 + 6000 is supposed to work, than why not.

Yeah. Ever since seeing Jon use and talk about the Synth Natural in his live stream videos I have been curious about it. I would definitely need to gather a bit more information from Jon though, notably if it can work well for micro-bevels and uraoshi sharpening, or if the Gesshin/JNS 6000 are a better suited for those tasks.

Otherwise, regarding the JNS 600, back in the day I was indeed looking for a minimalist setup. I would have got a Gesshin 600 + 6000 but sadly Jon was out for long time and I needed some stones so I went with the JNS 800 + 6000 instead. These days, the reason is more because I am having some issues with my JNS 800 and I might need a replacement.

Yeah, the Gesshin 600 and JNS 800 are going to be quite different stones. My short impression from the JNS 800 was positive - I think it should make great work on wide bevels. Just for the edge I would prefer harder stone I suppose.

The Synthetic Natural could be good enough for uraoshi, but the 6000 might just be better as to my naive understanding one tends to put finer (less teeth) edge on single bevel knives, but I really have basically 0 experience with single bevel knives. You should really talk to Jon. However the Synthetic natural does great job for me with microbevels - I use asymmetric ones as Jon teaches

The JNS 800 is a great stone, but I have a weird problem with mine in that flattening it revealed a crack going through the middle of the stone lengthwise. And since revealing the crack, the stone seems to not hold water as well as usual. The way this happened boggles my mind. I don't know how it will evolve but that is what I mean by probably needing a replacement.

That sounds like a production problem - give Maxim a call (once he is back from Japan)

The passaround has officially started - the stones are on their way to Devon.

Devon, I will PM you the tracking information tonight.

I'm looking forward to recieving these stones and I'll post a review of my experience.

As a bit of background, this is the stone set-up I've been using since getting into J-Knives some 18 months ago...

What you see here is:

- Suehero stone tray;
    - Naniwa Professional 400 (green);
    - Sigma Power Select II 1200 (white);
    - Sigma Power ceramic #6000 'Jinzo-renge-suita' (renge/pink);
    - iWood #300 diamond plate; and
    - a piece of balsa wood.

To this lot I recently added a Shapton Pro 'Moss' #220. I had bought the Naniwa Professional 400 for heavier metal removal, it's a lovely stone, but a bit slow... perhaps because it is (allegedly***) more like a 600 on the JIS scale.

I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of edge the 2000 and 4000 put on my knives. Up to now, I have had the option of 1200 or 6000, but nothing in between, and I read that the inbetweens are to many people's tastes.

It will also be interesting to see how the stones compare in feel to mine (e.g. Sigma #6000 v Gesshin #6000 and Naniwa #400 v Gesshin #400).

***see https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...UsR-o/htmlview
    which I found here http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/pr...t=856708&pp=40
    and note that there are no sources for these data so I can't say anything about the veracity of the information (nor do I know anything about the forum that it has been posted on)

Steven (in Devon, UK)

What's the status?

Hi Andur,

The status is, I have just finished using the stones (literally, I was tidying up while you were writing your post above).

Apologies for not getting finished sooner, work and childcare committments got in the way.

Anyway, the stones are now drying on a rack in the garage.

I'll pm you in a moment for your address.

Best wishes
    Steven