• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Takeda Gyuto With Old Style Grind

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RubbishCook

Reaction score
Looking to buy an old style Takeda Gyuto 210-240mm with the old style grind that had a higher primary bevel. If you have one that you would be willing to part with please let me know.

Bill:

How much are you asking for it? If rubbish doesn't take it, then I might be interested.

Thanks

Don't want to speak on behalf of Bill13 but going off of the price in the original BST thread it was before Takeda prices jumped so I wouldn't use that as a starting point

Not to derail your thread, but what makes this knife a gyuto? It looks more like santoku profile

Wow those two are very different. The one in the BST thread is a hybrid between those two though leaning Santoku-ish for sure.

You are right that the shape looks like a santoku. I see Takeda knives listed as gyutos that come in different shapes. :scratchhead:

The more normal:
http://www.chuboknives.com/products...-super-sasanoha-gyutou-210mm-8-2#.VvgTeBIrJBw
The more santoku like:
http://www.chuboknives.com/products/takeda-stainless-aogami-super-gyutou-210mm-8-2#.VvgT2BIrJBw
Maybe they are mislabeld? It would be hard to believe that something like this could be lost to translation.

True Takeda gyutos have the extra height which when combined with the low tip and short (210) length make it look like a santoku. I have a 270 and it is less pronounced.

The sasanoha is styled after the more traditional gyuto profile

Thanks for the tip. Does the grind look like the old style? The bevel seems a bit low. What do you think?

here is mine. fully custom made after my own drawing, made by takeda. extra thin and extra low extra big sweet spots. 240mm agressive cutter. with custom handle by Mike H in ebony wood,Koa and NS spacers. if your intrested send me a offer.
DSC02526_zpss7ekd0bj.jpg

here is mine. fully custom made after my own drawing, made by takeda. extra thin and extra low extra big sweet spots. 240mm agressive cutter. with custom handle by Mike H in ebony wood,Koa and NS spacers. if your intrested send me a offer.
DSC02526_zpss7ekd0bj.jpg

I remember seeing the original thread about this… truly awesome. It looks like it has an even longer blade road now :doublethumbsup:. If I didn't already have a 270 Takeda you would have a PM (from me :wink: )

I remember seeing the original thread about this… truly awesome. It looks like it has an even longer blade road now :doublethumbsup:. If I didn't already have a 270 Takeda you would have a PM (from me :wink: )

yeah i sent it back for real grinding. i was not happy with the tiny bevel.

Last edited:
I think a neat design element was why you did with the choil/emoto… on standard Takeda it is too small if you want a larger custom handle. I found the original thread if it is of interest:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/13818-Own-Design-Takeda-240-Gyuto
Really makes me appreciate the amount of thought that went into this unique project

The change to the emoto is a great feature. Love the feel of an emoto that is flush with the handle and it also looks great.

Will have to give the thread a full read through later =)

Latest posts

Back