looking for awesome gyuto around $200

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm trying to find a nice gyuto, probably 240 for my go to knife around the house.
Have looked at these but don't know much other than what Ive read. Was looking at damascus after seeing a pretty awesome damascus by Randy but then found a bunch of hammered I liked the look of.

ITINOMONN STAINLESS KASUMI 240MM WA GYUTO $225
Itto-Ryu Hammered White #2 Gyuto 240mm $160
Anryu Blue #2 Hammered Gyuto 240mm $240
also came across this which is probably out of my budget but looks great.
Tetsuhiro Hammered White #1 Gyuto 240mm $330

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
no, but new to carbon

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
I want to say $250 but could maybe stretch...

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
multipurpose, veggies and meat but no real bone work

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
western chef

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
depends on task but slice chop rock chop

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Hammered finish preferred or possibly damascus. Looking for nice go-to knife for most tasks to treat like a baby but get good use out of as i cook a lot

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Don't want anything super crazy reactive but understand a good patina should help if carbon

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
would be nice but dont mind moderate touch up here and there

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
endgrain, looking to get a hinoki

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
yes but still learning
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
would like to know what would be best methods and sharpening products for the knife chosen

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
Performance with a nice look to hit that won't totally break the bank. Also have a tojiro DP gyuto on the way for the lady and, if I get a carbon, will be around for cutting citrus and such.

Thanks for taking the time!

I'm not a super huge fan of hammered finish gyutos as the dimples will rub up and down your knuckles while you chop. My only hammered gyuto is a Masakage Koishi, which is nice but I don't use it all that often.

I would go Itinomonn.

FWIW I don't find this an issue for hammered finish knives myself.

I'm still very new to Japanese knives and have been learning on this forum for about a year. I recently bought a Tanaka Sekiso Damascus Blue 2 Santoku and was very pleased with it. They have a 240 and 270 Gyuto for $200/$220. Just throwing that out there as an option .......:knife:

Two of my favorite "first knives" are the Intinommon mentioned above and the Gesshin Uraku from JKI. The hammered finish does not appeal to me but if you like it then you should try it. JKI sells a line called Gonbei (sp?) that is nicely priced. No experience personally but Jon don't sell no junk.

If you can reach a little deeper EE sell a Yoshikane with a hammered finish. Yoshikane and skd, always a good thing.

And a phone call to Jon is always time well spent.

Two of my favorite "first knives" are the Intinommon mentioned above and the Gesshin Uraku from JKI. The hammered finish does not appeal to me but if you like it then you should try it. JKI sells a line called Gonbei (sp?) that is nicely priced. No experience personally but Jon don't sell no junk.

If you can reach a little deeper EE sell a Yoshikane with a hammered finish. Yoshikane and skd, always a good thing.

And a phone call to Jon is always time well spent.

I'll have to give him a call then!
The Gonbei from JKI does look pretty sweet, just a hint of damascus with the hammer. Wouldn't think I would like them so much together but I do. I wish it were in stock!
Is the yoshikane worth spending $100 more? It sounds like the steel is better and still stainless which would wouldn't hurt as I dont yet have the habit of wiping down immediately. I didnt see steel specs on the Gonbei just that its swedish, what would be the main difference in the steel between these two?

Not ruling the itonomon out yet, but less maintenance with stainless could be nice. Thanks for the help!

The Itinomonn is near non-reactive. I would not let maintenance be a deciding factor.

The Itinomonn is near non-reactive. I would not let maintenance be a deciding factor.

I have been using a stainLess 210 Itinomonn Gyuto for a couple weeks now. Really impressed with the performance. Very nice grind, sharpens up almost like a carbon knife (ease and edgewise) and nearly nonreactive. I bought it as a replacement for my 210 Tojiro DP gyuto (line knife), which I believe is an excellent value and has provided many years of use, but the Itinomonn's grind/performance is far superior, the steel is much easier to hone and is simply a much nicer looking knife.

Cheers and good luck,
rj

Anybody tried the non stainless version of the Itinomonn kasumi gyuto or compared it to the stainless? It has stainless cladding but is a V2 core. About $45 cheaper too. Of course it is out of stock like the Gonbei...

Anybody tried the non stainless version of the Itinomonn kasumi gyuto or compared it to the stainless? It has stainless cladding but is a V2 core. About $45 cheaper too. Of course it is out of stock like the Gonbei...

Yup. Itinomonn V2 IMHO is right between white #2 and the stainLess; almost as easy to sharpen as w#2 but holds an edge a little longer and is less reactive. Slightly more reactive than the stainLess, not by much, but takes a better edge than the stainLess. I would place it close to super blue but I think I like it a bit better.

Really, when it comes to carbon knives, it is a matter of hygiene; as long as you practice good knife hygiene carbon should never be that big of an issue. Especially true after you have reached a good patina. Meaning: keep your knives clean and dry when not in hand.

Cheers,
rj

Ugh, sorry! This is minutia. In a home setting, any of these knives will need to be sharpened infrequently (once every few months?). It shouldn't matter too much whether it takes 5 minutes or 10 minute to do a touch up on a fine stone (the time difference between say a white #2 and a more difficult vg10 knife). When you get comfortable with sharpening, you will probably enjoy spending a bit of time to keep your knives in top shape. In a commercial setting these little factors start to come into play more so. Bottom line... get something that really appeals to you! Any of your options that you are considering would/could and should be immensely enjoyed over most western commercially available knives.

Cheers,
rj

You did not mention whether you are looking more towards a 'workhorse' (usually little heavier at 200+g at 240mm size), or for a lightweight knife. If the later is the case, than the Ikazuchi from JKI (stainless clad super blue, $200, 143g) could be a very interesting option too.

In general I would not get too worried about carbon cladding. Yes, it will be reactive when new, but once the patina sets in it should give you no issues.

Should you be able to stretch your budget, than Kochi from JKI (there is also a stainless-clad version for $285) would be an excellent choice IMO. I have the 180mm K-tip santoku (carbon clad) and that knife is awesome.

Back