Quantcast
15n20 as blade steel
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 15n20 as blade steel

15n20 as blade steel

I am wondering if people would be interested in 15n20 steel blades for the kitchen. It is most often used as the "shiney" steel in damascus and not too often used in blades I am guessing because it cannot be found in thicker sections than about .10 inches and usually as thin as .065. It is typically used as a bandsaw blade in saw mills. As far as composition it is basically 1075 with 2 percent nickle. Any thoughts?

I've been playing with it, but have yet to get the slight curve out of it---formerly 3/32 band saw blades. I gave away my 1st two, and the friends that have them love them.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Is it staying curved after heat treat?

Aldo carries some thick enough to use as a kitchen knife. I have seen some close to 1/8 inch somewhere, but that is as thick as I have run across. Of course, the big question is what benefit will you get out of what would essentially be a tougher 1075 kitchen knife? There are people who would love to find some 1/4 stock to try a tough high quality nickel bearing steel on bushcraft knives, choppers and such without the quirks of real L6, but it is apparently nowhere to be found.

Why are you looking for thick slabs for kitchen knives?

I think the bennefit is that it is a tool grade high carbon steel that is available in nice thin stock for a very reasonable price. Finding anything besides stainless in 3/32 is tough. I know Aldo has some thin W2, I have some from him, but is is pretty expensive per pound compared to 15n20 because he needs to have it re rolled thinner.

O1 is available in thin stock for reasonable cost, and it makes a nice blade. Just ask around!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Why are you looking for thick slabs for kitchen knives?
    To clarifty, I dont think many other, non kitchen knife makers use stock that is so thin. That is why I am wondering if it would be a good kitchen knife steel because it is already so thin.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    O1 is available in thin stock for reasonable cost, and it makes a nice blade. Just ask around!

That is a good point. I forgot the 01 is pretty reasonable and easily obtainable.

15n20 is an outstanding steel for kitchen knives. It is like 1075 but with nickel and other elements added for toughness. 15n20 combines good edge holding and toughness, you can't go wrong as long as you can find the size you want. I think if it were common in thicker sizes it would be used more often.