• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTT for Damascus Kato 210mm or 240mm Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikedtran

Banned
Reaction score
Looking for either a 210mm or a 240mm Damascus Kato. More leaning towards a standard vs. a JNS. Though beggars can't be choosers =)

Have cash or willing to trade the following the following Shig if interested:
Kasumi 240mm Gyuto (ebony octagonal handle w/ ashwood Saya)
Kasumi 210mm Gyuto
Kitaeji 165mm Santoku (looking at you Smurf)
Kitaeji 165mm Nakiri (looking at you Tanner)
KU 165mm Santoku
KU 165mm Nakiri
KU "Sanjo Made" Nakiri*
KU "Sanjo Made" Sickle Nakiri
KU "Sanjo Made" Sword Nakiri

More leaning towards a standard vs. a JNS.

This is good because mine is a JNS, and don't want to give it up! Although I thought the JNS versions were only applicable to the Kasumi (e.g. workhorse) and the Damascus was the same all around? At any rate I'd still be interested in the Kitaeji nakiri as per usual

I think Tanner is correct. I believe the only difference between the Damascus Kato you get from JNS and anywhere else is the handle. I got mine without a handle so never had to deal with it. If you want to sell the Santoku I'm willing to buy it. I've got a few things that I can trade but I'll take that off line but can do cash no problem.

This is good because mine is a JNS, and don't want to give it up! Although I thought the JNS versions were only applicable to the Kasumi (e.g. workhorse) and the Damascus was the same all around? At any rate I'd still be interested in the Kitaeji nakiri as per usual

I think Tanner is correct. I believe the only difference between the Damascus Kato you get from JNS and anywhere else is the handle. I got mine without a handle so never had to deal with it. If you want to sell the Santoku I'm willing to buy it. I've got a few things that I can trade but I'll take that off line but can do cash no problem.

Good to know maybe I will have to look into buying Flash's then...and as always I got you guys on my list =)

There's atleast something different with the JNS kikuryu and other Damascus katos. If you look the pictures and handle kikuryu, you see that Standard Damascus Kato has much brighter and more visible patterns, while kikuryu has less visible pattern, which IMO looks much more hand forged, like Kitaeji Shig , while other Damascus katos look more like laminated. You can get kikuryu patterns to show more with some fingerstones, (see maksims insta).

Also does the standard Damascus have the additional Kanji on the left side of the blade?

Also does the standard Damascus have the additional Kanji on the left side of the blade?

Nope, only on right side. Not sure about the tang though.

The Kikuryu and regular Damascus Kato are different (I was wondering the same thing a while ago, it's in a thread but I'm not sure which one). I know JNS gets both Kikuryu and Damascus, similar to with workhorse and Kasumi.

Some info on Kikuryu vs standard Damascus:
My understanding is the kikuryu pattern mimicks closer to the jihada of a katana - basically more folding of steel, thus, more effort by Kato.
The pattern is just aesthetic. I have not heard anything comments about a kikuryu goes through different heat treat compared to Kato's other 藤原良明作 branded knives.

As far as the steel used, it may not be a "super secret special recipe steel"; I would say it may be more on "don't want to tell but nothing special".

Yea the kikuryu and Damascus are 2 seperate line entirely I would say. I'm quite sure JNS sells both but the kikuryu is even more of a unicorn if you considered the Damascus to be one

Back