Quantcast
Edge Pro Stones - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Edge Pro Stones

Don't get it. Get regular stones and learn on those. You'll be amazed at the difference. I will regret to say I have one and its firmly locked away somewhere, never to be seen again.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2hill View Post
    Don't get it. Get regular stones and learn on those. You'll be amazed at the difference. I will regret to say I have one and its firmly locked away somewhere, never to be seen again.
    The OP already has an Edge Pro Apex. He's not asking whether to get one, but rather which premium stones to get.
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    The OP already has an Edge Pro Apex. He's not asking whether to get one, but rather which premium stones to get.
    I was trying to say: Don't bother getting any of the Chosera EP stones. Spend that money and get real stones and learn on those instead. a 1000/6000 will give a better edge with time and practice of course than the EP.

Its a great tool for someone who wants to set a primary cutting bevel but that sums it up for me.

... I will regret to say I have one and its firmly locked away somewhere, never to be seen again.
    If you're not using it anymore, can I borrow it for a little while?

I was trying to say: Don't bother getting any of the Chosera EP stones. Spend that money and get real stones and learn on those instead. a 1000/6000 will give a better edge with time and practice of course than the EP.

Its a great tool for someone who wants to set a primary cutting bevel but that sums it up for me.
    It didn't come across that way, at least not to me.

Freehand is great if you want to take the time to develop the skills, but the Edge Pro (and the Wicked Edge) are perfectly capable of producing edges that are as sharp as many of us are capable of producing.
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Yeah rick that's just it. I can appreciate the zeal and intellectual purity of many here who sing from the rafters about freehand. And someday I'd like to learn. Like in 45 years when I retire. But I love knives because of course I appreciate their value as hand crafted artisan made goods but more so because I love to cook. I love to cook infinitely more than I love (or am even interested in) sharpening. I'd rather spend the time now working on developing and deepening my cooking skills rather than sharpening. I'm picking my battles. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I feel.

I certainly don't want to turn this into an Edgepro vs freehand debate. I have both and like both. IMO people who knock or dismiss one system vs another usually dont fully understand or haven't mastered the system that they are criticizing.

EP's are good for alot more that just setting bevels and freehand doesn't take 20years of meditation and the renouncement of all things guided to master.

What I advocate is having a variety of tools and using them all appropriately.
    I don't have the counter space to leave my EP permanently setup. So an edge starts to go beyond where honing rods or strops can bring it all the way back, its very fast for me to just splash some water on my j-nat and touch up the edge freehand.

With the use of regular edge maintenance on hones stops and high-grit water stones, I can go for months just spending a couple minutes here or there.

So, while I don't agree that you should bury your EP somewhere never to be seen again, I do agree that you might get more enjoyment / value for your $'s by investing in something different like a high grit (6-10k) freehand stone or maybe some stropping equipment... stuff that in the long run will save you time and allow you to cook for longer between EP sessions.

Lastly, as for the chosera EP set: I wouldn't buy it if you already have a full set of EP stones.
    Yes, the chosera's feel a little nicer and some cut a little faster, but you're not going to get much of a benefit in replacing lower grit stones with other lower grit stones.
    I have added an EP 800, and a Chosera 1k and 10k to my EP lineup. The EP800 leaves a more refined finish than the Cho1k. The Cho10k is finer than the EP1k, but not as fine as the EP polish tapes (i have yellow 3k and pink 6k).
    If you are really set on buying more stones for your EP, then Id remomend looking at higher grit finishing stones (< cho5k or maybe one of the fine naturals).

One last piece of EP advise: try to find stones of the same thickness - some aftermarket stones are different thickness and require you to reset the angle on your EP which would be a huge PITA if all your stones in a progression where different thickness.

Thanks Justin. Really good ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    It didn't come across that way, at least not to me.

Freehand is great if you want to take the time to develop the skills, but the Edge Pro (and the Wicked Edge) are perfectly capable of producing edges that are as sharp as many of us are capable of producing.
    I was very sleepy this morning. I could easily see the confusion . Maybe its just the system I didn't enjoy it and didn't enjoy the edges. But of course, to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post

One last piece of EP advise: try to find stones of the same thickness - some aftermarket stones are different thickness and require you to reset the angle on your EP which would be a huge PITA if all your stones in a progression where different thickness.
    Take a look on youtube for a video about a drill collar stop and the EP. Great way to maintain the angle. Will definitely help you keep consistency with the aftermarket special stones.

I have also heard another thing is don't get the choseras from CKTG. Get them from J-ende industries (google it without the hyphen): I've heard they are cut quite a bit thicker than the CKTG.

I however cannot confirm this.

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    If you're not using it anymore, can I borrow it for a little while?
    I think 3 people have asked me this after my crazy hate rant (I don't really hate the system - just wasn't for me). Some to buy. Some to borrow.

I would gladly due a "passaround" of sorts if enough people were interested in trying the system and just seeing what its like.