Quantcast
Wire Edge Test for those who "don't have them"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wire Edge Test for those who "don't have them"

Smile Wire Edge Test for those who "don't have them"

Next time you sharpen finish stropping (stone or strop or whatever you use) using some good decent amount of downward pressure - more than your comfortable using and then some. Do a few in each direction.

Now test the edge cutting paper.

It should slice OK. If it fails the (pure - not the el-slice-o) push cut then you've got a wire edge. The wire is bent to the side.

To double prove this - go back to your stropping and do light (weight of the knife only) stropping strokes. Do a few in each direction.

Now go test the edge again cutting paper.

It should slice cut great. If it passes the (pure - not the el-slice-o) push cut then you've just realigned the wire edge. This is where people fool themselves.

Now go back to your stropping and repeat the first test.

If you once again fail the (pure - not the el-slice-o) push cut then you've got a wire edge bent over.

Be honest and highly critical with yourself while doing this test and you might see something that you didn't expect to see.

I am having real problems removing wire edge from single bevels

Good post. Another method that works for me is to use a ceramic rod. The contact area is so small that it only takes a little pressure to move a wire edge back and forth.

Not that I've ever had a wire edge...............

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    I am having real problems removing wire edge from single bevels
    this is often due to too much pressure being used and not proper pressure on uraoshi sharpening. Also, depending on the type of knife, it may work best to use a microbevel to help remove a stubborn wire edge.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    this is often due to too much pressure being used and not proper pressure on uraoshi sharpening. Also, depending on the type of knife, it may work best to use a microbevel to help remove a stubborn wire edge.
    I also find wire edges can be a major PITA on single bevels. I haven't had problems with Hitachi steels thus far.

Is a wire edge what I hear/feel pop and crunch sometimes on the stones? It def. feels like a tiny sliver of steel just popped off.

Sponsors
    lol... that just sounds like sharpening stainless steel

a wire edge is essentially where the weak thin metal at your edge has not been properly removed (more ofthen that not its your burr that hasnt been properly removed, but not always). Its the part of the edge that will crumble/fold on you when you start to use your knife. The crunch/pop you're talking about is more than likely the burr coming off in your sharpening and getting caught under your edge. For what its worth, unless your edge is totally toast or you are doing serious reprofiling, if you have metal coming off like that, you're removing too much metal in your sharpening

Yeah, I was sharpening my Konosuke HD for the first time when I heard/felt it. I think I didn't realize how thin the edge was and was putting a little too much pressure on it.

I've struggled with burrs for a while, and the best way I've been able to remove them is simply wiping down your knife very firmly with cloth. It'd be an edge trailing motion so you don't cut yourself. It's pretty much like stropping with a cloth in your hand. It's a method that works very well for me. I really like this method as it preserves the edge that you had off the stones, whereas a fully loaded strop would really change your resulting edge.