Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The whole blade won't take an edge

The whole blade won't take an edge

I just sharpened a couple of Shun's for a chef. I don't know the history of the knives but they were pretty worn. On both of the knives, after more than fifty strokes to the front third of the blade, I barely raised a burr. While the rear two thirds raised a burr after about twenty. I know the heat treatment can get ruined, but for just a portion of the blade? What else could prevent that portion of the blade from taking an edge?

That's weird. What kind of shuns are they? vg10 or sg2 steel? The sg2 is not an easy steel to sharpen, especially over curved sections and doesnt raise a huge bur.

As for damaging the heat treat , i don't know what would be needed to do that...maybe using knife like a turner on the grill?

Just to make sure: is the blade straight, thickness equal along the edge, any twist, overgrind??

What sort of bevel angle did it have? Has it possibly been steeled improperly to death and needs a good thinning?

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

You're probably not hitting the edge yet on the front third. Have you used the "magic marker trick" to see where on the bevel you are sharpening?
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Either your angle isn't consistent in your hands, or on the knife. Which means either wobbly/inconsistent technique for you, or the knife has over/undergrind(s).

I'd say the profile is screwed up and you just need to go lower in grit. Maybe the person who sharpened it before did a really half-assed job and it's just blunter in one area than another?

The one blade was bent and I straightened it. I'm not worried about my technique. I think maybe a combination of poor previous sharpenings, the bend and some steel fatigue makes sense to me. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    You're probably not hitting the edge...used the "magic marker trick" to see where on the bevel you are sharpening?
    +1. Regardless of what the problem is, this will fix it. I'm pretty sure the condition of the HT, etc. has nothing to do with it. Just apply the marker along the entire edge and use a coarse stone.