Back from Germany - Knife purchases and thoughts

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just came back on Monday from a week with the folks in Germany. Thought I share my knife related experiences/thoughts/ideas

1) Brought back my 240 Tilman Leder Gyuto in Niolox that he shipped to my parents (saved some $$$ on shipping). Love it so far, need to upload pics, but dropbox issues and no site supporter (yet - doesn't work signing up). Cocobolo handle and blonde horn ferrule. Large flat spot, nice taper ... cannot say much else now, gotta use it more.

2) Bought two more Herder Windmuehle Mini-Yatagan paring knives, this time in Carbon. I love those, more than the highly touted parers by custom makers that I will not name here ...

3) "Found" a couple interesting custom makers, the one that seems to be sticking out is Jannis from xerxes knives (www.xerxes-knives.de). I talked a bit with him, seems very knowledgeable about steels and forging, and loves using "heritage" materials like old irons and reclaimed wood, also makes his own steel.

The other one is Kilian Kreutz (http://www.kreutz-metallgestaltung.de/), who lives about 10 minutes from my parents place. Which is kind of intriguing in it's own way.

4) Funky handle idea

My hometown has a HUGE Easter tradition, which is unique ... and kind of disturbing to a lot of folks in the US, because to honor Christ four wooden crosses are burned on Easter Sunday, representing the four medieval entrances to the city. Nothing KKK about it, but I get that it's wacky for a lot of Americans.

Those are fresh cut trees, a 100 feet tall, wrapped in hay and shaped into crosses with cross beams attached.

Anyhow, the trees are spruces, and are not really "burning" to the ground, but merely charred and pulled down after an hour or so for safety. The wood is sold and usually used for furniture. I am thinking about trying to get some of it to make into an handle at some point (well, have someone use it for a custom, that is). I have never seen that wood on a handle though ...

Can't wait to see the pics. The handle idea would be cool as well, wood would probably need to be stabilized, but not really sure… if so you could send some in to be done professionally.

Can't wait to see the pics. The handle idea would be cool as well, wood would probably need to be stabilized, but not really sure… if so you could send some in to be done professionally.

Depends on your climate and how much you want to care for it I guess.

It would be well dried. You would probably have to get a decent size piece due to likely large amount of wastage. But would definitely look cool.

Would be awesome to kewp the charred surface somehow (maybe this is where stabilizing could come in).

Back