What do y'all use for "heavy duty" tasks?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanHumphrey

Reaction score
So I know that nice, high-hardness Japanese knives aren't for use on bones, frozen food, melons, etc. I assume you all do eat these things - what knife (or knives) do you keep around for that sort of task?

Heavy cleaver from thailand. Costs less than $30. The company is known for machetes, grind is super fat. After a year of use I can say it is indestructible.

I still have a couple of german knives around for when I need to do something that would damage a knife with hard steel.

If I'm sure there will be some damage, either a soft vintage carbon -- Sab or Sheffield -- or a SLD Honesuki by Hiromoto.

Mac Ultimate from back when they were made with tungsten. Fantastic beater knives.

Henckles walmart / Canadian tire knife. I think she cost around $30-$40 cad and I've had her for well over a decade. Sharpened once.

The SLD honesuki from Hiromoto (JCK) can stand more abuse that I would have ever expected from such a knife.

i'm considering a suisin HC as an UD (ugly duty) beater simply because it's carbon steel is lower hrc than the other options. i would just get a carbon sabatier if they didnt have those stupid finger guards.

I kept my old German knives around to practice sharpening and to handle tough stuff since I already paid for them a long time ago - no worries about damage.

CCK medium Kau Kong Chopper KF 1402. I like it is compact front weighted and can handle any task.

Misono Swedish steel yo-deba, hankotsu, honesuki
Itinomonn wa-butcher
Old Henckels set that I still keep on my countertop, also for the times when I need something sharp/pointy and just want to leave it in the sink until later

Joe Calton Cleaver

C1_zpsh4i82ksp.jpg

tjangula's mention of misono yo deba reminded me of seeing a thread about suisin hc line and chuckles saying he likes the suisin deba which are $100 less than misono's.

Back