Member. Memories.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm just curious.

Many members have come and gone, some post and some don't, and some are new and old. We've all shared our time and interaction in some capacity.

But everyone has a 'knife forum' moment, memory, or something special that they have learned -- or something that has changed how they view/handle/buy knives and, thus, interact on this forum. And this includes that old KF forum too -- it has to. That wouldn't be fair.

So as I drink some Paso Robles wine right now and I am feeling mighty nostalgic, I wonder about this.

Here are some of my moments:

* Larrin and Devin arguing about the merits of AEB-L steel.
* The knife sharpening olympics that Carter won.
* The first time I posted on KF and Salty, Adam Marr, and Dave responded. I was hooked.
* Pensacola's rule about playing with all the toys...or something like that.
* Arriving in Ukraine to find out Dave was banned from KF.
* The first Martell rehandle thread. That was amazing...
* Salty cutting veggies naked with a sock over his 'stuff'.
* Danny's trip to clean up Eamon's crap.
* Jacob/EdipusReks going full-on a-hole when Knyfe had to deal with it. I still love Jacob and Knyfe.
* Fish. RIP.
* Danny. RIP.
* Mario taking care of me in a mosh pit.
* Justin, Chuckles and I spreading some knives out at Pat's Tap.
* The last Chicago road trip.
* The first and only (so far) Midwest Knife Gathering.
* Bill Burke's wolf thread. Ouch.
* Realizing Chef Niloc was crazy.
* Realizing that Salty was simply more amazing than I thought.

And I could probably go on and on, but these are some of the many memories from the top of my head...

If I thought about members: Sachem, Andy, Justin etc. I could think of way more.

Share your own pivotal moments if you wish. All I know right now (while I am drinking) is that I am going to Chicago in a short time and this wouldn't have happened without a forum full of knife crazies.

Cheers.
Karring

Great thread. Lots of memories/ milestones mentioned there. Have to add charlie harlan (ChucktheButcher) to the Rip list :-( His knife collection thread was, and still is, epic.

Another memorable thread for me was the ECG at Warren's when Salty was all ready to go and backed out at the last minute when he heard a policeman might be there. That particular ECG wound up including by far the most entertaining shooting event I have ever attended. Many got to shoot some very cool automatic weapons, including a super-rare titanium full-auto (a Baretta, if I remember correctly) that was worth over 6 figures.

Yep, those RIPs hit hard don't they. Chuck's collection and his life was amazing. And KCMA single handedly chased me away from Foodie Forums corner. Love and respect.

k.

The first Devin ITK run.

I stayed home that day and refreshed my computer every minute until they went on sale. Still have that knife. And every time I have talked with Hoss, he apologizes for that run. Or at least that is what it seems to me...

k.

Chef niloc thing was nuts.

-oivind_dahle was very interesting poster as well

I don't even know where to start.....maybe I'll go with my worst memories first....

Ken

:lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

I havent posted here much lately but i have to say there has been so many great posts piqued my interest in finer knives , so many members shared their knowledge few years ago when i joined along with many makers posting more frequently back then .I remember refreshing "why so japanocentric "thread to see what was posted , enjoyed reading the hobbyist section and trying to understand their challenges , generous PIF by Chris , Son's informative posts about sabatiers and vintage knives (i also blame him for the prices of forgecraft goin up :pirate1: ) Marko saying something positive about a knife i posted on handiwork section .
My top highlights were meeting Mike (mrmms ) , Cheflarge , Randy , Bill Burke , Rami , James and Kev in person along with making many friends in many continents and countries .
I have learned tons and tons of information here , met so many new people and kept in contact with so many members even outside the forums (lefty where are you ? )
saw the emerging new makers and sadly disappearing of few makers too. I remember seeing chuckthebutchers collection and feeling kind of relieved that there was someone out there who takes worse pictures than me .
Sad to see many older names not posting as often

Danny's great posts in the what's cooking forum especially those that were moved to the sous-vide sub forum. Great conversations about recipes usually lasting 3-4 pages.

Been a long strange ride hasn't it? I don't post too often any longer. Too much real life going on, but I do feel like I know a lot of really fine folks and I've always appreciated the generosity of spirit and knowledge shared and even the odd dustup. Miss all the guys who have moved on both from the forums and in life. I was quietly laughing to myself hearing KCMA in my mind as I was sharpening last week.

I remember this:
P1010027.JPG
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/14793-Thomas-Keller-Jim-amp-Martell-A-KKF-Collaboration?highlight=damascus+gyuto

That is a sweet knife collaboration. I was 'offline' when that was completed and posted. It is my first time seeing it. Nice.

But I have to say one thing, this last weekend is also one of those times where one realizes that memories with members keeps on going too. Chuckles and I road tripping to Chicago, meeting up with Mario, hitting Salty on the way back. Good music, some food and drink, knife talk, and I had my new Don knife. New memories.

k.

That is a sweet knife collaboration. I was 'offline' when that was completed and posted. It is my first time seeing it. Nice.

But I have to say one thing, this last weekend is also one of those times where one realizes that memories with members keeps on going too. Chuckles and I road tripping to Chicago, meeting up with Mario, hitting Salty on the way back. Good music, some food and drink, knife talk, and I had my new Don knife. New memories.

k.

k,

Sounds like a good time. Did you get the back story to the bathroom car crash, that was Salty's place, right?

k,

Sounds like a good time. Did you get the back story to the bathroom car crash, that was Salty's place, right?

Lady was charged with a DUI. The car actually hit a structurally significant part of the building, otherwise she would have likely drove the whole car into the middle of the restaurant. Everything was patched up already -- though not finished. And I had to use the bathroom that was destroyed multiple times for some reason ;) There was also water damage to the floors from the plumbing that was broken, so he is now trying to get new floors.

k.

Many fun memories - but learning so much from people here was special. Tinh (Tk59) and his precision come to mind...

I think my favorite forum take-away is that idiosyncratic personalities are the common denominator of the makers, consumers, and hobbyists that populate this realm of endeavor. We're all delightfully weird people in a world that values sterile conformity.

Best example: Dave Martell demanding that I send back the first Hiromoto gyoto of an early batch of rehandles because his work wasn't good enough for his own standards. I didn't have the knowledge to even begin to find a problem with it, and that can't possibly have made economic sense from a rational actor perspective, but Dave just had to reclaim it in order to make it worthy of his name.

Still use that knife 2-3 times a week. I think I'll cook with it tonight.

* Justin, Chuckles and I spreading some knives out at Pat's Tap.

Frankly, I'm hurt by this. :p

This was about a half year before that time we met at the art studio next door to Pat's Tap. Justin and I just showed up, having never met Chuckles before, and laid out a couple of tables full of knives right during late lunch.

But, I have to say, that that knife gathering next to Pat's Tap will always be one of my favorites. I still drink Booker wine at every gathering now. At the end of the night I was downing a bottle of rose in the kitchen and playing with a hobart mixer.

k.

I signed into my account just now for the first time in several years, and this is the first thread that I clicked on! Lots of familiar names and references to memories nearly lost.

I stayed home that day and refreshed my computer every minute until they went on sale. Still have that knife. And every time I have talked with Hoss, he apologizes for that run. Or at least that is what it seems to me...

k.

mind educating a newbie on the issues with the first batch?

Back