Shigefusa?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanb

KKF Supporting Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting a 270 mm Shigefusa Damascus gyuto. I really, really don't need another 270 gyuto but this one intrigues me. All the reviews I've read have been raves but is this knife really worth $800?

Is a diamond engagement ring really worth $5000?

Hmm... I just realized my Shinden natural stone was NOT the most expensive rock I have ever purchased. :O

Where do yall get find these Shigies anyway? Linx plox..

It is a fantastic blade,but it is it's own beast.If you like that style of blade I would not hesitate to buy one,I've owned five.I really miss the custom ryuoba usaba I sold:sad0:

It's only $800? For some all of the hype, I thought it cost a LOT more. I say get it!

I was called by JWW last week to see if I was still interested in Shigefusa. I guess they got a new batch. I thanked them for calling and told them to take me off of the list.

270mm gyuto will be close to 290mm handle to tip, as Shigefusa measures on the edge. 240mm gyuto is typically 260mm length handle to tip.

M

If mine were stolen tonight I would order a new one tomorrow. I have a kasumi but if I were a home cook and could afford the extra expense to buy a kitaeji, I would.

It is a very nice knife but I never use mine. It has become cumbersome. (sp?) As elegant as it is/was.

I'll be selling it one day but no PTs now please.

It is a fantastic blade,but it is it's own beast.If you like that style of blade I would not hesitate to buy one,I've owned five.I really miss the custom ryuoba usaba I sold:sad0:

That Usaba is the luckiest purchase that I've ever made. I'm currently in the process of cleaning up the scuff marks and mirror polishing it. If you're ever in Minnesota and want to visit it, let me know and I'll grant you visitation rights :)

As for recommending one or not: it all depends. What they are, IMO, is beautifully designed and made cutting machines. They are not thin, fast, or nimble blades, but they cut with better percission, control, and less effort than anything else that I've used, even much thinner blades. Also, the soft cladding (which makes their magical geometry possible) is also VERY reactive and must be treated appropriately.

I love mine. The 2 that I have (both with custom handles -stock isn't very good) changed my understanding of what makes a blade a good cutting machine, as well as the level of craftsmanship and finish possible on a hand-made hunk of steel.
Even $800 is a bargain IMO.

i have a 240 kitaeji, and i adore it. it's in my hand 90% of the time i use a knife. it is definitely its own thing, though.

Back