Full size Carter gyutos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fujiyama

Reaction score
I've been waiting for these for a long time. They're here, and I'm too cheap right now. :lol2:

8.5", 9.5", 10", 12", 13"...

They won't last long. CarterCutlery

pity that 11sun is a dymondwood, that kinda turns me off.

Also, I find I prefer his kuro-uchi blades to the high grade/damascus stuff. just me?

His prices when up quite a bit - I did have a discount when I bought my 165 KU funayuki (I am rather not going to tell you - I have just checked and could not believe - I guess that is the first knife that appreciated considerably in my possession), but even the full price was like to what he asks for the Muteki knives today.

I have not used his high grade/stainless/damascus knives, but some find the kurouchi series to be 'the' Carter for me :) He actually has several really nice once. Not cheap, but IMO they are still worth the price.

LOL... Those prices.... I remember the good old days, when they were somewhat reasonable... had so many of them.... honestly... they were good... but nothing extraordinary.

I have not used his high grade/stainless/damascus knives, but some find the kurouchi series to be 'the' Carter for me :) He actually has several really nice once. Not cheap, but IMO they are still worth the price.

I have two of his kuro's, i actually had a high grade stainless pass through my collection briefly, but it just didn't do it for me :dontknow:

IMO carter need to jump on the distal taper/kato bandwagon. I have a hard time paying a grand for a laser

Man those prices have jumped since I got mine (275 & 160 SS clad Funayukis) in 2014, and they were apparently a lot lower before too.
2CA5E46C-B2A8-4767-BCA6-96B2A439D48B_zpsdwy5tiwv.jpg

I'm not really the biggest fan of his "custom" handles, so am going to get some Stefan handles.

I wish there was an option to buy them handleless. You pay a premium for the 'custom' handles but my god they are awful

I added several in this batch to my wish list, so far the only one that is gone was installed with a D-shape ho handle. I guess this says something about the "custom" handles of this batch... The look of Carter handles can be a hit or miss sometimes...

-Lean

i kinda feel like at times he's trying to 'stand out' with the... ODDNESS of some of his handles. They often seem a bit too busy for my tastes.

Most of his handles are killer. It's the ones you usually see available that are ugly.

kiritsuke_r_232mm_1__91187.1459991598.1280.1280.jpg

gyuto_p_240mm_1__18610.1459990811.1280.1280.jpg

gyuto_o_335mm_1__20998.1459990416.1280.1280.jpg

gyuto_cc_164mm_1__18100.1459904470.1280.1280.jpg

They're always unique, you can't fault that!

I added several in this batch to my wish list, so far the only one that is gone was installed with a D-shape ho handle. I guess this says something about the "custom" handles of this batch... The look of Carter handles can be a hit or miss sometimes...

-Lean
i kinda feel like at times he's trying to 'stand out' with the... ODDNESS of some of his handles. They often seem a bit too busy for my tastes.
Most of his handles are killer. It's the ones you usually see available that are ugly.

They're always unique, you can't fault that!

I personally feel the custom handles do not provide a good ROI, for the additional cost your could get better value. Then when there's a blade that ticks the boxes, the handle may not; or certain parts of the handle are a deal breaker. I had some nice spalted olivewood but it was with some micarta :puke:. Other one was had some ironwood with a burl spacer and some other hardwood, but it had ugly red liners :puke:.

I agree that Carter sometimes combines materials in somewhat particular matter. When I was buying mine I could pick from several and this one had the nicest handle.

Back