Stefan's Large Madrone burl block for sale

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I wasn't sure where I should offer this one, so I'll just do it here: I have a large block of exhibition grade madrone burl that I would like to sell - too much wood, not enough cash... Here is the description from Arnold, the guy I bought it from:

"Spec's.: air dried/steamed/kiln dried (11% mc), rough surfaced planed 2 face, yellow-orange tone, quarter sawn to rift sawn cut, wgt. is 5.10 lbs., dimensions are 16-3/4" x 6-15/16" @ one end tapering to 4-1/4" (narrowest face is 2-1/4") x 2" thick. Comment: 97% clear for a burl- 2 fine inclusion on the one side edge and the one face towards the edge. This was cut closest to the outside where the burl is strongest. This was a veneer presentation grade burl that was heading to England and was able to purchase a small lot- this is the last piece. This is a piece of dense hardwood. Standard guitar billet in this grade retails approx. $ 400 to $500. "

Some pictures:

6DSCN4365.jpg

2B.jpg

7DSCN4362.jpg

This should yield a minimum of 14 5 x 2 x 1ish pieces, more if you cut them a bit narrower. The seller usually sells a lot to instrument makers and is absolutely reliable, I never had a bad piece from him. He assured me that this was treated state of the art for madrone which needs to be cooked or steamed to remain stable. I have had it for a year now. If you are interested, please PM me about the price. If I don't find takers here, I'll offer it as a guitar billet on ebay.

Thanks,

Stefan

6DSCN4365.jpg

Wow. That is one serious piece of material!

Awesome surf board!

Maybe for your youngest, but not for me :tooth:

It really is a spectacular piece of burl but I have too much stuff... I was also wondering how to cut it, because the figure is just as nice from the side as it is from the top/bottom.

Stefan

Woah, Chief, madrones are my favorite trees. Wish I'd known you had madrone around before I placed my handles order. Any chance you can add one more in this time of turmoil?

Woah, Chief, madrones are my favorite trees. Wish I'd known you had madrone around before I placed my handles order. Any chance you can add one more in this time of turmoil?

Well, I have someone who is interested in the whole block, and that's all the madrone I have. But if that is your favorite wood, I am sure Mark can help out with a block - or I buy some back from the buyer ;) Let's PM about this if you are interested. I really need to make a list of the woods I have, I am sure there are 80+ varieties/qualities...

Stefan

Anyone else see a ninja in the left corner of the "bark" (skin?) of that wood? Beautiful block of wood.

Latest posts

Back