Cheap induction-compatible cookware

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimH

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about the food chemistry class that I'm planning to offer next spring (I just resurrected that thread) and I'm looking for a source of cheap induction-compatible cookware. There have been a couple of recent threads on cookware choices, but price hasn't been the prime consideration. Any ideas?

Thanks.

We mostly use tools of the trade pots and pans. You can get them cheap at Macy's.

When you go shopping put a fridge magnet in your pocket. If it don't stick it's not compatible. I found it hard to find an induction stock pot - prob the best application for induction. Eventually won.
s

Pretty much all stainless steel cookware sets made in the last few years will be induction compatible, and it's easy to test out with a fridge magnet to make sure it sticks to the bottom.

I got my current starting set from a liquidation store, and I've been cooking with induction for 5 years and I love it. You can sometimes find tri ply sets on sale from Wal-Mart (Tramontina) or other places. You can also get open stock factory second pieces from Home Goods, TJ Maxx and the like...

Lodge are a good source if you don't mind the extra effort for cast iron. Cheaper than ikea when I bought my last ones and better quality. Otherwise ikea definitely a good choice. The magnet trick is killer. When we went induction, I came home with a few that said they were compatible, but the energy didn't transfer because they weren't magnetic enough.

And I do recommend getting a couple cast iron pieces even if you go the stainless steel route.

Induction makes taking care of cast iron very easy. After use I just fill the pan halfway with water and bring to a boil (super quick with induction), then I scrub with a brush (no soap), drain off the water and put it back on the hob at medium power with the auto off timer set for 2 minutes. I can then walk away while the pan gets heated to drive off remaining moisture (to prevent rust), or while it's heating up, I occasionally spray a thin layer of oil on it to re-season it.

Great idea with the support-off timer, if only my cooker had that

Latest posts

Back