Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gauging Interest for Leather Strops

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I have 8x3" felt on magnetic backing. If you want, I can put leather on magnetic backing too.

M
    Marko
    Any plans for a leather strop on mag backing for my diamond plates and base you made 2-3 years ago

I will be making strops on wooden bases (very heavy mahogany) and will also make some pads with magnetic backing. The strop size is 11x3 and pads size (to be used with DMT plates) 11.5x2.5"

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Price? Count me in

Oh yes, sign me up.

A leather-equivalent strop (not newspaper/balsa which has different properties) made of definitely synthetic materials would be interesting for a few...

Quote Originally Posted by LifeByA1000Cuts View Post
    A leather-equivalent strop (not newspaper/balsa which has different properties) made of definitely synthetic materials would be interesting for a few...
    I only use felt and leather for strops. Personally, I like felt better as it deburrs also, but the downside of felt is that if not careful applying spray, it can expand where the droplets hit the wool. In part, this can be avoided by running something flat over the right felt after a micron spray is applied. Leather doesn't have that issue.

I only make strops once in a while, so the price will be $75 per strop with wooden base and $25 for the leather or felt pads plus USPS or FEDEX shipping.

These will be available in my web store.

I also would like to gauge interest in doing a DMT plates (11.5x2.5) group buy for 4000, 6000 and 8000 grits. These are custom grits and I have t a minimum order on these, so I can only do them if there is enough interest. The strop pads (leather and felt) on a magnetic backing work very well with these plates - you have a perfectly flat stropping base. For folks who sharpen alloyed steel, diamond plates is the fastest approach to get them razor sharp. High grit plates are great for touching up knives in between sharpening also.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

Will the magnetic pad backed ones work with other types of metallic bases around those same dimensions? I think I might already own something that fits the bill
    Also, the strops aren't already made yet, correct? I think I'm in your neck of the words this weekend XD

Quote Originally Posted by foody518 View Post
    Will the magnetic pad backed ones work with other types of metallic bases around those same dimensions? I think I might already own something that fits the bill
    Also, the strops aren't already made yet, correct? I think I'm in your neck of the words this weekend XD
    I make these in batches, so the upcoming batch is for strops with mahogany base and a few with magnetic lining.

Marko