Gauging Interest for Leather Strops

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
I am considering making a batch of leather strops in 11x3x1.25" in mahogany, walnut, and few other hardwoods. Wooden base, no-skid feet, with a nice satin finish. These will be $70 shipped in US.

Let me know how many might be interested, so I know how many to make.

Thank you,

Marko

DSC_1224.JPG

I'd be interested, also need a new magnetic felt for my 8k DMT plate.

I have 8x3" felt on magnetic backing. If you want, I can put leather on magnetic backing too.

M

I will make some with felt and some with leather. These will be available within a couple of weeks.

Thanks,

M

Just curious if I missed these somewhere along the way?

I have to rent (woodworking) shop time to produce strops on wooden bases, and unfortunately there is no enough interest to produce a batch. I might do it in the near future, just not right now.

I can however produce strops with magnetic backing. These work very well on DMT plates, particularly the larger ones, like 11.5x2.5". I can put together a group buy for custom 4-6K and maybe 8K DMT plates in 11.5x2.5". They are great for touching up or putting an edge on steels with high wear resistance and that can double as a strop base. For these I can produce leather and felt strops with magnetic backing. This is what I use myself.

A little late to this, but I'd probably be interested in getting a nice leather strop.

Quick question - How well does the leather with magnetic backing resist curling? I'm in a medium/high humidity area.

I will be making strops on wooden bases (very heavy mahogany) and will also make some pads with magnetic backing. The strop size is 11x3 and pads size (to be used with DMT plates) 11.5x2.5"

A leather-equivalent strop (not newspaper/balsa which has different properties) made of definitely synthetic materials would be interesting for a few...

A leather-equivalent strop (not newspaper/balsa which has different properties) made of definitely synthetic materials would be interesting for a few...

I only use felt and leather for strops. Personally, I like felt better as it deburrs also, but the downside of felt is that if not careful applying spray, it can expand where the droplets hit the wool. In part, this can be avoided by running something flat over the right felt after a micron spray is applied. Leather doesn't have that issue.

I only make strops once in a while, so the price will be $75 per strop with wooden base and $25 for the leather or felt pads plus USPS or FEDEX shipping.

These will be available in my web store.

I also would like to gauge interest in doing a DMT plates (11.5x2.5) group buy for 4000, 6000 and 8000 grits. These are custom grits and I have t a minimum order on these, so I can only do them if there is enough interest. The strop pads (leather and felt) on a magnetic backing work very well with these plates - you have a perfectly flat stropping base. For folks who sharpen alloyed steel, diamond plates is the fastest approach to get them razor sharp. High grit plates are great for touching up knives in between sharpening also.

Will the magnetic pad backed ones work with other types of metallic bases around those same dimensions? I think I might already own something that fits the bill
Also, the strops aren't already made yet, correct? I think I'm in your neck of the words this weekend XD

Will the magnetic pad backed ones work with other types of metallic bases around those same dimensions? I think I might already own something that fits the bill
Also, the strops aren't already made yet, correct? I think I'm in your neck of the words this weekend XD

I make these in batches, so the upcoming batch is for strops with mahogany base and a few with magnetic lining.

Marko

Back