Separate skin from fish/flesh

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisputt

Reaction score
Do you need a flexible fish knife or a flexible knife to separate the fish's skin for its flesh? Or not?
Would a gyuto do the job fine?
Or is it necessary to have a knife with a lot of flex to do the job?

Please. Pick up a piece of fish and skin it already. Any knife will work (that isn't serrated or something ridiculous). You're overthinking the tool for the job, when the experience is much more valuable than any knife.

For removing skin from a fillet I don't think I see any utility in having a flexible knife.

Any knife will work (that isn't serrated or something ridiculous)

ive seen coworkers using serrated breadknives all the time ;)

The most important quality is sharpness. I like a yanagiba for this task.

for beginners i'd suggest a knife that isn't too sharp, since fresh edges tend to cut through the skin if your technique isnt spot on, which ***** the job up completely.

Totally agreed with @miaby
You need a sharp knife long enough compared to the fish,so you sure you going to remove the skin evenly and a lot of experience 😄
No flexible knife are better, you can use them for that task but still you need experience 😉

It does not have to be pretty to do a pretty job.

Wustie%20and%20Salmon.jpg

I use an old wusthof slicer , I've always had better success with this knife than anything too sharp ( it's mildly flexible).

salmon you can even use your hand (knife edge aka pinky side) once the tail end is started with a knife.
How did I not know that? Knives are fun but this is efficient.

Thanks for sharing panda, it's something I'll hold onto forever.

Back