Magnetic Strips Are Coming Up

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
I am finishing a few of magnetic strips in 24" in flame cherry. Will post them once they are done.

Hi Folks,
have five strips three in cherry and two in mahoganhy. Right now they are in rectangular shape. I am considering making them rectangular, isosceles, and right. Please see the attached picture. 2 7/8 x 1.5 x 25.5" Flash mount, mounting hardware recessed in the back of the board. Can skip burning in maker's mark, if that's thee preference (will burn on the back). Can do natural finish (oil with wax) or custom (allow extra week for the finish).

These are priced at $120 + shipping. Flame Cherry and Flame Mahogany.

Thank you,

Marko
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1c/Trapezoid_special_cases.png

They are going to be priced

The one on the left is cherry, the one on the right - mahogany

IMG_0276.JPG

$120 is a promotional price for the first ten strips. Between cost of components, figured wood, and labor that goes into producing them, I am making very modest profits. I do them, because I like to offer knife related accessories, under my name.

I will make some in walnut and maple after these are done.

Each of these strips will have a continuous magnetic field, shielded so it pulls only at the front. 24" of magnetic surface. Will take some pictures of a strip filled with knives once one is completed.

I am giving a customer a choice of rectangular, with one bottom chamfer or two chamfers. Personally I think a strip with a chamfer will allow to release the knife easier, all you need is to press on the handle to break the hold. On a strip without chamfers, the best way to separate the knife is to twist it to the spine and then remove it.

Thanks,

Marko

I'm definitely interested in a walnut one (assuming they are going to be the same dimensions) or something even more exotic if you happen to come across the right piece of wood.

Strips in cherry are bespoken.

Cherry and mahogany blocks after finish set in look indistinguishable)) Go figure.

I will be making strips in these dimensions.

M

Just waiting for details from those who are interested. I can only work them as a batch, so please provide me with details.

Thanks,

Marko

I am booking woodworking shop (unfortunately don't have my own woodworking shop yet) time this Saturday to finish the strops. Will have pictures on Sunday. Will also have a cherry board.

Thank you,

Marko

Here are the completed (bar finish) mag strips.

You should get an idea what these are to be looked like. Basically, I will be using woods with the most striking grain.

Strip construction is also pretty complex. Shaping and polishing this shape of strips can test a resolve even of the most determined person. I have two more (not bespoken) in cherry and lacewood coming up, last two of the promotional ten boards. After that, I will price them to the market.

I need a couple of more days for the natural finish, and then I will ship them.

Thanks,

Marko

image1.JPG

IMG_0289.JPG

Folks,
I am going to make another batch of 24" magnetic strips next weekend - I can only rent the woodworking shop on the weekends. I am going to go to a lumber yard early next week, will be looking for some interesting walnut and figured maple. If you are interested, please send me a PM for a reservation.

The next batch strips will be priced $140-180 per strip before shipping. The design I chose is quite complex, plus cost of the figured lumber, plus time to go dig through piles to find something interesting, plus cost of magnets and hardware, plus expense of renting a woodworking shop - and that even before factoring my time that I put into making them.

I really enjoy making these, but they can't be made inexpensively. Thanks for your understanding.

I am glad to see more high quality (an assumption from my side, but I feel good about it :) ) magnetic strips becoming available. Out of curiosity - do these have one or 2 rows of magnets?

One row, continuous and the pull is on the face of the board only, strong for carbon and stainless. I can accommodate custom request for making section of the strip with even stronger magnets to hold super heavy knives like debas.

Marko, do you have access to some figured or unusual oak for a magnetic strip? I know it sounds boring but oak is the only wood at my home besides different knife handles...

I do, but I am hesitant to use oak with natural finish because of tannins in it. If a carbon knife is not dry, it might stain the oak. I can do a custom finish that will take care of the risk of staining.

I will make some down the road. They will be in the same category as the ones I made from a special walnut board - thicker and wider and will be priced at $200-250 before shipping.

IMG_0299.JPG

All of the bespoken mag strips are out, am on a lookout for some more great looking wood.

Have two for sale - AAA grade maple and AA mahogany should anyone be interested.

Maple strip is priced at $170 and mahogany strip at $140 before shipping.

Back