Quantcast
Competition BBQ, judging and crackers
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Competition BBQ, judging and crackers

Competition BBQ, judging and crackers

Just got certified as a KCBS BBQ judge this weekend and did a story about it for the paper. If you eat just 1 ounce pieces of the BBQ that you are judging, you will have consumed two pounds of meat! It is a nice gig if you can get it. Here is a link to the story. There were over 50 teams competing this weekend here.

That is alot of meat! Looks like great fun, how many competitions are there per year?

I need to make my way to Texas more often..

160 pics makes me hungry. Well done.

Nice report!

As I'm scrolling through the pictures I kept thinking I wonder what a good knife could do for their scores.

Thanks for sharing this Steve, cool stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    As I'm scrolling through the pictures I kept thinking I wonder what a good knife could do for their scores.

A $30 duo-edge roast slicer seemed to be the knife of choice.

Congrats, sounds like fun.
    I did a little judging of my own at the Best in the West Rib Cookoff in Reno last weekend. It was a private evaluation, of course
    A quarter of a million pounds of ribs were cooked up here over the holiday, that's a lot of pigs.
    http://www.nuggetribcookoff.com/Abou...-The-Event.asp
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Man, Now I'm hungry! Great pics and cool story. Thanks for sharing!

Dave, I was looking at the knives in the pics as well. and even cringed a few times.. lol

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

HHH Custom Knives T Shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    That is alot of meat! Looks like great fun, how many competitions are there per year?

I need to make my way to Texas more often..

160 pics makes me hungry. Well done.
    The KCBS has over 400 sanctioned events each year nationally, in Texas I think the number is something like 5 to 10 KCBS events.

Dave, I have an old school buddy who competes and I asked him that very question. Apparently, presentation is a part of your score. A sharp knife willmake better cuts, especially one meat that is cooked to the point of falling apart, right?
    I told him to let me know when the next big contest was, so I could check out what these guys are using. You figure that some of the big teams have smokers that are the size of an old travel trailer, so they are not shy about spending money on their hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    As I'm scrolling through the pictures I kept thinking I wonder what a good knife could do for their scores. These guys are dealy serious about their Cue. My buddy is ranked 2dn amongst the local competitors in Georgia, but he got his ass handed to him at a REALLY big competition he participated in recently where the serious guys from all over showed up.

A question for the judges and guys who have competed. My freind didmanage to place in the top ten in the chicken category in that big contest, but I get the impression that if you are not doing one of the "real" meats, those being ribs, brisket or pork shoulder, you might as well be competing in the junior girls division. Is that accurate?

+ Reply to Thread