oyster crabs

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoiledbroth

Reaction score
anyone ever find these little parasites in their oysters? we have a batch of oysters at work right now maybe 1/4 contain a good size oyster crab.

how do you cook them? I found some neat recipes online. I think in 1907 the new yorker called it one of the finest viande you could hope for. I have yet to eat one. Supposedly good raw too.

Toss them in seasoned flour and fry whole. Put on a skewer and serve as garnish to a spicy bloody mary. Charge $40.

Anyone ever had them? I will start collecting the crabs and try to get some pictures. Will cook them. Or give them to chef :p

I used to get them all the time when I was in the north east. Sometimes id get a batch of oysters and more than half would have crabs, especially duxbury. Now that I'm in California I haven't seen any and people look at me funny if I ask about them. Never knew people cooked em. What kinda oyster you working with out of curiosity?

Find em in blue points all the time. I just toss em.

Idk I just think they're muddy and gross. I do love crab though. Just not these.

I am a little grossed out by them to be honest, but I was always taught that my personal taste should never dictate what I sample in a kitchen... Never know when having that baseline experience (of having eaten pea crabs or whatever) will serve you!

welp I only found 2 more... forgot to ask where the kaki came from- all gone now. almost assuredly east coast canada. I'm 99% sure they were NOT harvested in malpeque bay (malpeques are a dime a dozen here and pretty wimpy compared to alot of other canadian gems)

welp I only found 2 more... forgot to ask where the kaki came from- all gone now. almost assuredly east coast canada. I'm 99% sure they were NOT harvested in malpeque bay (malpeques are a dime a dozen here and pretty wimpy compared to alot of other canadian gems)

So? Did you pop one in your mouth to give it a go?

Being Portuguese and having grown up on the water in Massachusetts and my grandfather being dragger, taught us to love fish eyes too. After you remove the vitrious humor is like fish butter. Just remove the pupil and sclera derma and spread on toast. I liked it, my sisters not do much.

Back