Crispy duck skin

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linecooklife

Reaction score
So we're putting together a new duck dish and will be doing the skin separate from the meat. So my question is this; what's the best way to make duck cracklings or something like it? Right now I'm thinking of rendering the skins in the circulator for a while and then pulling them out and baking between silly pats.
If I was to do this what temp should I cook at and for how long?
Any advice is welcome or other ideas on what to do with the skin would be great
Thanks in advance
-Jesse

Not at the moment we could get some in but it's pricy. I was just reading some recipes with liquid nitrogen making crumbles looks cool

This was the first thing that popped into my head.

[video=youtube;zUT56odqaSY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUT56odqaSY[/video]

Remove as much fat as practicable. I use the back of a knife. Sandwich the skins between sheet pans and parchment and roast at 400 until crispy, draining fat as you go. Cut into triangles or whatevs and stick into the mashed taters.

I do this all the time with turkey. It's a Kenji Serious Eats technique. Allows me to sous vide a breast at 132F and have Thanksgiving dinner on a Wednesday night in June.

Remove as much fat as practicable. I use the back of a knife. Sandwich the skins between sheet pans and parchment and roast at 400 until crispy, draining fat as you go. Cut into triangles or whatevs and stick into the mashed taters.

I do this all the time with turkey. It's a Kenji Serious Eats technique. Allows me to sous vide a breast at 132F and have Thanksgiving dinner on a Wednesday night in June.

This. But we allays did low and slow (275f), good flat heavy trays are the key.

i was going to say... Sheet tray over silpat not sure why silpat as its not going to promote browning as much. Don't think circulator is necessary at all either.

Also I initially liked chef steps but watching the guy remove the duck skin and taking leaves of thyme off with tweezers makes my head hurt

Also I initially liked chef steps but watching the guy remove the duck skin and taking leaves of thyme off with tweezers makes my head hurt

Yeah I feel that way too every once in a while. A lot of the stuff they do is brilliant, but sometimes it seems they get stuck in their own heads.

So long story short I ended up cooking it under a bunch o weights on 250 with the steam on in a combie oven. Trying to pre render in the bath didn't work. It did however do a great job rendering for fat. Put all my skin fat trimmings from duck fabricating in vac bags and sous vide on 175 all night, no more mess or fear of burning if water evaporates :)

Latest posts

Back