New Knife! Konosuke 270mm Fujiyama Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhmaass

Founding Member
Reaction score
I placed an order with Jon at JKI 4 months ago for a gyuto with a western-wa handled "Like Adam's (Watercrawl)." At the time it was the most incredible looking knife that I had seen and imagined using. The profile looked amazing and combined with the handle, I had to have one. So I placed an order for a 270mm Konosuke white#2 gyuto, with a western-wa handle.

32754410150280962388860.jpg

33720710150280962403860.jpg

(All image credits belong to Jon at JKI- my camera sucks and these are much better than I can do.)
I have used the knife for two services at work on the factory edge, and I have to say that it is the best cutting knife that I have used. I am comparing it to a Nenox 240mm SD gyuto, 270mm Konosuke HD gyuto, coworker's Hiromoto AS santoku and another cook's Ashi (not the Gesshin line).
I can very confidently say this knife will replace the Konosuke HD in my bag. Everything that I cut with the HD seems 10x easier with the Fujiyama gyuto. All signs point to this knife being the best cutter in my bag.

beautiful. i always like that handle !!!

Very nice! I'm assuming it's a totally different beast then the HD? Also, those konosuke western handles are so ridiculously sexy. Are the comfortable to use? The cladding is carbon as well right? It's a very unique design.

I really love konosuke. The price is right and they have a great sense of style leaving their mark on the backside with the frontside left blank. The most aesthetically pleasing knife brand out there as far as I'm concerned.

It is an entirely different beast. The Fujiyama isn't nearly as thin as the HD, but I think it cuts better. The knife is incredibly thin at the edge and behind, but tapers up the blade to something a little more substantial. Not thick, by any means, it's still a thin knife. I think that you feel the cuts a lot more with this knife than with the HD, which I see as a great thing. Having used this knife, I want to sharpen my HD and use it for a while to get a more accurate comparison.

The handle is the most comfortable wa handle that I have used; and I would put the handle in general right around the Nenox handles, which are the most comfortable handles that I have ever used. I haven't felt the need to put the knife down (or wanted to) for the 24+ hours I have had the knife in my hand using it.

Yes, the cladding is carbon as well.

The car analogy has been floating around on here for a while, if this knife were a car... it would be a BMW M5.

So pretty in it's simplicity, profile looks nice aswell!

Thanks for posting you thoughts on the Fuki - I've been curious about them and relly didn't know anything. How's the reactivity of the cladding?

It's not bad. I panicked a little at work and scrubbed some orange patina or rust off (left it unwiped for a few minutes with something on the knife during a rush), and other than that it hasn't been a problem.

That knife looks Sweeeet !!! Do you have an more pics?

Cheers,

Andrew

There are some on Japanese Knife Imports' facebook page, but I'm going to try and get some more pics here soon. I will definitely post them when I get them.

Back