Recent work

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PierreRodrigue

Reaction score
Had today of at my full time job, so spent some time in the shop.

I have 15 knives heat treated, had a shipment of stabilized wood come in.
Ground out my first cleaver 210mm long, 110mm high full distal taper and full grind from spine to edge, now just have to decide on a handle type...
Also ground 2 pettys, a three piece damasteel set, a boning knife, and 2 paring knives. After some final grinding and polishing, look forward to a few new pictures.

Should be wrapping up that "lightning bolt suji" as well, looking forward to seeing that one dressed up. Some of you might remember it from KF.

MMMM MMM MM, gonna have to be patient, this one is gonna look nice!

MMMM MMM MM, gonna have to be patient, this one is gonna look nice!

A san-mai "lightning bolt damascus" 300mm O1 core suji... It just doesn't get much cooler than that :D
Patience is a virtue, though. No hurry worries :D

DarkHOeK

Had today of at my full time job, so spent some time in the shop.

I have 15 knives heat treated, had a shipment of stabilized wood come in.
Ground out my first cleaver 210mm long, 110mm high full distal taper and full grind from spine to edge, now just have to decide on a handle type...
Also ground 2 pettys, a three piece damasteel set, a boning knife, and 2 paring knives. After some final grinding and polishing, look forward to a few new pictures.

Should be wrapping up that "lightning bolt suji" as well, looking forward to seeing that one dressed up. Some of you might remember it from KF.

Are all of these knives spoken for?

k.

Hmmm, far from Canadas largest paper, just a little press from the town I grew up in, almost a full contenant away now! :)

There are a couple odd items with no home yet, paring knives, a cleaver, bread knife, maybe a couple others soon. TYhey take second place. I will offer them as they are finished. Customers first. Pics will come soon...

Hopefully at the forge today, will be working on a tight ladder pattern damascus, and a san mai billet for two longer knives, a300 and a 270. Days like this I'm happy its -20!! Damn forge will keep it nice and toasty though :D

pics_006.jpg

psssst.. Bear... give a brother some pics .)

Hopefully at the forge today, will be working on a tight ladder pattern damascus, and a san mai billet for two longer knives, a300 and a 270. Days like this I'm happy its -20!! Damn forge will keep it nice and toasty though :D

Have a very good day at the forge, sir! Wish I could be there to watch your work :)

DarkHOeK

Forging a success! Welded up two billets, one a TIGHT ladder pattern, 220 layer billet of 1084 and 15N20, the other a core of O1, 88 layers of 1084, 15N20, and pure nickel. Should be sweet! My main computer cratered, at the doctors now, using my daughters, so pics in a few days.

Rock and Roll! Sounds like some cool stuff!

Forging a success! Welded up two billets, one a TIGHT ladder pattern, 220 layer billet of 1084 and 15N20, the other a core of O1, 88 layers of 1084, 15N20, and pure nickel. Should be sweet! My main computer cratered, at the doctors now, using my daughters, so pics in a few days.

Good to hear that your day at the forge was a rewarding one. That O1 San Mai damascus should look pretty spectacular using pure nickel in the mix. We are talking dramatic contrast here :)

DarkHOeK

Slowly coming together, been to damn busy at work, here is the begining of a 3 piece damasteel set...
Picture1493.jpg

Picture1521.jpg

Picture1522.jpg

Picture1558.jpg

Picture1563.jpg

Nice!

Look great. However this will not end in my kitchen :( I ordered 2 sets of Pierre, cause a friend om mine wanted to have a set to. As I got 40 + knives (and some high end) he will get the first set. Then Pierre can use longer time on the other set! Im in no hurry, but my friend is. However: Im going to test the knives and do a report :)

As said, Dave, these are Damasteel, Oivind wanted a 3 piece set, a parer, petty and gyuto, these pics are of the parer and petty after the etch. Damasteel is really soft in an anealed state, so much so, if you slip while grinding, metal removal is FAST! Don't slip! I did a final grind after HT, hand finished to 400, and etched. Cleaned up after the etch and snapped a couple crappy pictures. I'll get to the gyuto in the next day or two I hope ( depends on work) and go from there.

I have about zero knowledge of Damasteel and how it works. This is interesting to me and I can't wait to see how they come out.

Back