So...If money was no object....What's your fantasy knife??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smurfmacaw

Reaction score
Subject says it.....Interested in what people really want if they didn't have to think about the bucks? For me it's any of the local makers, Randy, Ian, etc. doing their thing and delivering something that they are proud of.

Recently said fudge it and ordered a 240 dammy k tip from randy. That's gotta be up there. I'm guessing if money didn't matter I'd want a co-op piece. Maybe a single bevel kiritsuke using damascus from randy or devin and forged from a master like keijiro doi or kato. Handled by one of those Hawaiians and a saya made by lefty with makie-laquer. Realistically I'd also want the core steel to be bobahagame. Cause why not. Wooden kiri box with all the makers personally chiseling their name into the top.(I'd want it with latches folding out) the box would have to be equally as special. Made from really nice japanese cedar or dyed elder Burl. I imagine it would be the equivilant of a new car though. Plus nearly impossible to accomplish.

Kato Tamahagane Honyaki? He is definitely capable and has made a honyaki Yanagiba before.

Kato Kikuryu 240mm western handle workhorse gyuto.

That or a beautiful 4mm Will Catcheside feather damascus 245mm gyuto.

maybe some kind of plain looking kato 240 or a 240 zdp hairline from sukenari. Basic stuff. Maybe tanaka r2 wa but kind of flashy for my taste.

It looks like most answers are more going for what they'd want if anything was possible (imaginary knives) rather than only price was no object (expensive knives).

If that's how we're playing, I'd go for a Chris Anderson suji made from Bill Burke's Dragonbreath damascus.

Or a custom Kramer.

No idea, really. Something performance tweaked and refinish-friendly.

Well, I kinda have it already - gyuto from Andy :) But if I were 'allowed' to get one more I would call Jon and after looong discussion get something awesome :)

If it has to exist there's a konosuke 270mm black damascus knife at tosho for 5k that would be my immediate purchase if given infinite money to buy one availible knife, that or that Bill Burke at sgeclast for $5100. Both are stunning.

Most probably a deba, yanagi and usuba from Nenohi's Kaede line.

I'd get Masamoto KS honyaki gyuto.
Nice choice!

A Sukenari honyaki gyuto with a simple custom handle.

So many choices.. can't pick one! The Hattori KD is legendary..

Ok real knives only, I'd get masamoto Ks honyaki gyuto.

I'll just leave this here.. On a more serious note, they have not made a honyaki gyuto for over a year. When I asked if they would be available again soon I was told not likely. I would love to find out why.

rripODc.jpg

Marko has the profile down, it's not a direct 1:1 copy (nor does he want it to be). Good luck with that steel request

Integral Enryu single bevel set from Hinoura, butt cap would be enryu as well, with some really nasty burl, matcing sayas with miniature enryu keeper pins that look like those rail spikes jon had awhile back.

Mizuno suminagashi, Kato dragon, San Mai Haburn western gyuto, Ealy Damascus...

Back