In Toronto around July 4th, where to eat, go?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So the title says it all. We finally got our kids passports and new ones for ourselves and our big trip this summer is... Niagra Falls and Toronto. I've been told the CN Tower is pretty cool and the restaurant is pretty good but expensive, anyone else been there? My children are 14 and 17 and are up for anything food wise.

So what else is there to do, see, and places to eat?

Thanks!

Kids will like Ripley's Aquarium found at the bottom of the CN Tower. It will kill 4hrs easy.

I would then take the ferry over to Centre Island check the sights and walk to The Rectory Cafe, nice little place on the backside of the island.

Momofuku is pretty good for the price.

Edulis, Shoushin, and get a hotdog on the street

I'm surprised no one suggested to stop into Tosho Knife Arts, even if you just browse it's worth checking out. There's a CCK location but it's probably not worth going out of your way, same with the other stores I know of (Ottawa).

So much good food of every type in Toronto. It's really overwhelming. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with what's hot right now. I'd spend an evening at the Museum Tavern (bit pricey).

Do you like ramen? Sansotei is the spot to check out. There's also Kinka Izakaya worth checking out.

Enough about Japanese, I would recommend trying some Middle Eastern places for sure. You should be able to find some good Lebanese and Jamaican food too. Definitely try a good pizza! Also Hopgood’s Foodliner or Halifax Donair. You need a donair in your life.

Try to find a Trinidadian roti somewhere. Far better than a hot dog

+1 there is an awesome roti shop about a block from Tosho

Jon, would that be on Bathurst down from Honest Eds before Harbord? Oh yeah. If so, imagined it wouldn't be there after all these years. Best in Toronto? Not sure, but I remember enjoying it

Tap phongs, st. Lawrence market, Kensington market, Chinatown , queen street west, craft burger(I have no idea of this exists , but they had an Ontario lamb burger that was the ****), Tosho , etc

Jon, would that be on Bathurst down from Honest Eds before Harbord? Oh yeah. If so, imagined it wouldn't be there after all these years. Best in Toronto? Not sure, but I remember enjoying it

That's the one, it's called Roti Village, or Palace, something like that

Buca, Bar Buca, Canoe, Dandylion, Correnti Cigar Factory....

Bar Raval, Queen St W. Tosho is pretty cool, too

You should try Chef Sanjeev Kapoor’s Khazana restaurant. I heard good things.

That's the one, it's called Roti Village, or Palace, something like that

Roti Palace rings a bell. Yes. Impressed if they're still there, 20 years on. I remember them from about 1990 at the earliest, actually.

There was a pizza place farther down Bathurst - just take out, mainly - past the school, whatever it was called, 'Sicilian' pizza on Harboard and it was good, but I think ended up having closing problems when they found it was fronting drug sales of some sort. Always did seem a suspicious place if you asked for the toilet down in the basement/storage ... Ah yes, remember, Papa Gigi's

The Japanese word is natsukashi, if you know it.

... Okay, just googled and confirmed:
The_Annex_HotSpot5960X738-320x246.jpg

I want to live in a Roti Palace

Wouldn't be bad at all as it's great. Apparently, there's a rivalry with stuff like this - roti, rice & peas... - Trinidad vs Jamaica and maybe a few others I'd imagine, where Trinnies see this stuff as their food but 'stolen' to an extent by Jamaicans who've popularised some of it. Probably even the steel drums. Who knows, but the roti thing seems to have some obvious validity. Ex's family was from there, but anyone can google too I guess.

Back