Personal Passaround: 270-300mm Sujihiki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyChance

Founding Member
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the first KKF personal passaround! No, I am not yet another hobbyist making knives in my garage. Instead, we are going to we are going to find a few people who are interested in comparing knives of a similar type to one another, "donate" our own knives to the group, and let each person try them all together.

So how does this work exactly? First, we pick a knife type. In this case, 300mm sujihiki. Then, we look for people interested in joining the passaround. To join the passaround, you must have a 300mm sujihiki you are willing to let the group use. It is like collateral, I am not sending half a dozen knives to a stranger who did not have anything of his own to put up. You must also be a senior member in good standing here at KKF. If you haven't been around that long, or know us personally, or can be vouched for, you may not be approved to join the passaround. I'm sorry, nothing personal, but that is how it is. Too much risk otherwise.

After we get a few people with different knives signed up, everyone will mail theirs to the person running the passaround (in this case, me). I don't want this to go on for months, so we are going to try to keep it to 3-6 people per passaround. Then all the knives will be boxed together in a way that can be easily put back together and shipped in the same manner for each person in the passaround. I don't want people to have buy packaging material or figure out how to safely ship them. If you have the crappy cardboard box your knife came in, please include it. I have found the best way to ship several knives is in these boxes, rubber banded together, and then surrounded by packaging material. Easy to put back together too.

Each person will then have 5 days to use, sharpen, photograph, measure, weigh, compare, etc the knives. The major benefit of this format is that you can use these knives side by side and feel the differences between them. Buy a big bag of onions and cut one with each knife. If you have people on the boards who live near you, I suggest meeting up with them while you have the knives so that more people can be exposed to them without extending the passaround list. After that, back in the box they go and on to the next person. The last person will then ship each knife back to it's original owners. If they do not wish to do this, they can ship them all (sans their own) back to me and I will ship out to their rightful owners. Each person will be responsible for 1. initially shipping of their knife to person running the passaround, 2. shipping all of the knives to the next person in the list, and 3. return shipping of their knife back to them. It's not fair the last person in the list has to ship 5 packages, so for now, I am going to ask people to reimburse this person.

But I already own a 300mm sujihiki, why do I want to test 5 more? First of all, if you are content owning only one knife of any type, you need to leave right now. This is not the place for you. Second, you might have noticed, these knives are expensive. I know that I can't afford to buy every single knife I would like to try. Third, if you choose, you can do a review, or just give your overall impressions of each knife, so other people can use that information to make their knife buying decisions. Fourth, it can help you with future knife buying decisions as well. Maybe you want a different size suji, or a gyuto from a certain maker.

So let's kick this off. 270mm or 300mm sujihiki. That is the only requirement, stainless or carbon, wa or yo handled, made anywhere in the world (except germany, lol). Please post your interest here and include what knife you have, or PM me with that information. For my own submission, I can include:

300mm Hiromoto AS Sujihiki: Blue Super Core, Western Handle (by Dave), Poplar Saya (by Marko).

and/or

300mm Dave Martell Sujihiki: Straight O1 Steel, Western Handle.

Who else wants in?

Last edited:
I'd say comparing the 270 to a 300 might beneficial, as well.
It can help a guy know which is a better length for him, and might aid in a future purchase, or save a member some money on an ill advised one.

Very true, plus it will give us a bigger pool of knives to chose from.

If interested I'm game with a 270 kikuichi elite carbon suji with a custom handle from Buckeye burl.

If you guys are interested in trying a (stock, basically) Blazen 270, I'd be happy to put that in the mix. It'll give me an excuse to fix the tip. :D

I knew I've always needed a 300mm suji for something.

Lol, great idea though!

I am interested in trying a 300 (actually even better if we can get someone with a 330...). Don't know if i qualify though.
270 Moritaka, AS, migaki finish (currently with Stephan Fowler, but i hope he can ship directly if this flies)

great idea..... i just sold out a lot of my knives so i don't have many sujis to offer but i can throw in my 285 nenox sd suji with Dave's custom handle. I know a lot of love and hate on this knife, but mine got thinned down by Dave, slice nicely, and can change your impression of nenox knife.

I can toss in a Konosuke HD 270 suji. I live somewhere around kalaeb so it could make a great excuse to meet a local nut.

:slaphead: That's a wa-suji. Silly post edit timer

Sorry for the late reply John. Been traveling and barely had time to log on to the site. The only 300mm suji I have is a masahiro virgin carbon with old Fish handle. But totally willing to throw it in.

Yee-haw SLC member numbers are growing. Now we are up to 3.

@ jeffs, I am game for talking knives anytime.

I think we have a pretty good selection here, I will send out some PMs later when I am not working so we can get this ball rolling.

Just a heads up: I'll be out of town from the 21st to the 28th so let me know if I need to get it shipped off before then for the pass around.

Latest posts

Back