Japanese culinary school?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravipops

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any experiences to share related to studying at a school that teaches Japanese culinary arts at schools in the U.S. Or Japan. I feel really inspired to learn but don't know how to start going about it

I can think of one place within the precincts of Tsukiji market that seems to have mostly foreign students, or at least looks like it any time I passed by.
Not sure if it's comprehensive or just a basic sushi/sashimi type program. Don't remember the name, but a Google search may turn up something.
I'm pretty certain that they don't have 'Chef factories' in Japan like they do in the US.

You can also try contacting these people: http://gohansociety.org/

two large schools in japan are the tsuji school (kansai) and hattori (kanto)... but you would need to speak japanese fluently.

Yeah I figured as much, I wonder how long that would take with consistent effort. What is the attitude like in japan towards foreigners who come to learn traditional craft? Is there commonly resentment and disbelief that foreigners can possess the patience/focus required to understand Japanese skills/concepts or is there space for acceptance of assimilation into the culture? Generally speaking

not many places are open and accepting, but with good connections (from personal connections and friends or through a culinary school like tsuji school of cooking) and a lot of perseverance, you could be fine.

Back