Strong High Quality Magnetic Knife Rack

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikedtran

Banned
Reaction score
In search of a really strong magnetic knife rack.

The one I have is pretty good though not great for large nakiris or really tall (300mm+) heavy and slim blades (yanagibas + sujihikis) that often shift or don't hang completely straight.

Would like one with strong magnets and magnets almost all the way across the rack instead of spaced out (actually not sure if the latter is better so would welcome input)

I have two magnetic racks from Maksim at JNS. They are very strong and I've had no trouble with it holding heavy gyutos, long sujis, and a very heavy cleaver. Workmanship is nice as well.

I believe he has one or two in stock right now if you don't have time for a custom order. The stuff I've seen from Marko is amazing and definitely also a consideration.

Thanks for the leads guys!

Reach out to Marko and have him make you one. He has a few in flame cherry that he is about to post...

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/26922-Magnetic-Strips-Are-Coming-Up

I can assure you that his woodworking skills are amazing and he pays attention to every detail

I have two magnetic racks from Maksim at JNS. They are very strong and I've had no trouble with it holding heavy gyutos, long sujis, and a very heavy cleaver. Workmanship is nice as well.

I believe he has one or two in stock right now if you don't have time for a custom order. The stuff I've seen from Marko is amazing and definitely also a consideration.

I looked at this, but was wondering can you have magnets all the way across instead of at intervals? Does that create weird magnetic fields or not?

Mike,
I've made myself a couple of knife racks with magnets all the way across, and there is no ill effect.
I use 20x5mmm magnets.
You end up using more magnets than you need to, but with the tools I have it's a bit difficult to ensure that the magnets line up horizontally.
The only problem I've had is when I made one with separated magnets and a few of them don't quite line up. You end up with wonky knives.
Kev

Mike,
I've made myself a couple of knife racks with magnets all the way across, and there is no ill effect.
I use 20x5mmm magnets.
You end up using more magnets than you need to, but with the tools I have it's a bit difficult to ensure that the magnets line up horizontally.
The only problem I've had is when I made one with separated magnets and a few of them don't quite line up. You end up with wonky knives.
Kev

This helps. Good to know, I will ask Marko/Maksim if they magnets all the way across =)

I use mag-blok. Around $40 and the magnets go all the way across

I have a couple of the sur la table brand ones, ive found them to be really nice.

I got a couple from Murray Carter and have been very happy with them. Knives of every size are very secure. I haven't had one of Marko's but if they are of the same quality woodworking as the strop base I have them I bet they are awesome.

I looked at this, but was wondering can you have magnets all the way across instead of at intervals? Does that create weird magnetic fields or not?

I was aiming for a board that was very continuous magnets instead of certain points to put knives.

It does create magnetic fields, but they just yank the knife to the correct spot. A lot of the custom makers use those same round magnets; I couldn't find a wooden magnetic knife rack with no "hot-spots" that ALSO magnetically attached to the fridge (we're about to sell the condo and move). It seemed strange at first, but really, the fields just yank the knife to one of the nine locations.

Check out http://www.betterwheelvt.com/

My friend runs the site and makes everything by hand. He doesn't currently have any up on the site, but he sells very high quality magnetic knife racks. Just shoot him an email or call.

I had a custom one made with bird's eye maple and cherry wood. Also, he put a ton of magnets in the rack. It easily holds 8-10 knives. It holds my 300mm yanagiba, debas, gyutos, and suji's. I'll try to post a photo later this week.

Oh I also forgot, he tested the knife rack with a 18" pry bar. It held up no problem.

Check out http://www.betterwheelvt.com/

My friend runs the site and makes everything by hand. He doesn't currently have any up on the site, but he sells very high quality magnetic knife racks. Just shoot him an email or call.

I had a custom one made with bird's eye maple and cherry wood. Also, he put a ton of magnets in the rack. It easily holds 8-10 knives. It holds my 300mm yanagiba, debas, gyutos, and suji's. I'll try to post a photo later this week.

Oh I also forgot, he tested the knife rack with a 18" pry bar. It held up no problem.

One word - PICTURES! I'm interested.

Mike,
I use 20x5mmm magnets.
Kev

You can line them up horizontally, alternate the poles and have the sides touch for continuous magnetism. Mounting with a steel plate on one side boosts the strength on the other, also helps to build. I made a 2x23 strip (with 1"dia x 1/8") magnets and had the rack below made by a local woodworker:

76FA4C38-BA3F-4C7C-94D9-074278010D7C_zpscmrp31di.jpg

If I were to do it again the 1" magnets although continuous, do create a 1"OC pull which may affect smaller knives (such as pettys), but hasn't been a problem with knives hitting each other. Maybe using more smaller magnets would be better.

I'm using the 12" walnut mag block from M.O.C
http://www.mocwoodworks.com

I like the mounting hardware is hidden and the magnets extend the length of the block. I keep 4 knives on it and no issues.

You can line them up horizontally, alternate the poles and have the sides touch for continuous magnetism. Mounting with a steel plate on one side boosts the strength on the other, also helps to build. I made a 2x23 strip (with 1"dia x 1/8") magnets and had the rack below made by a local woodworker:

76FA4C38-BA3F-4C7C-94D9-074278010D7C_zpscmrp31di.jpg

If I were to do it again the 1" magnets although continuous, do create a 1"OC pull which may affect smaller knives (such as pettys), but hasn't been a problem with knives hitting each other. Maybe using more smaller magnets would be better.

I tried initially with 10x5mm magnets, and it worked, but I had to use an awful lot of them, stacked them up to 15-20mm in depth. I also had to route out a trench in the wood that was only 2-3 mm from the face of the wooden block.
With the 20x5mm I only needed 1, and didn't have to go so deep into the wood.
The smaller magnets will work, but be wary of going too small.
I had 2 rows of magnets on my blocks, haven't tried the continuous method.

I'm having one built, I'm fed up with the mediocre choices, or the sizes aren't right. I have a 18" right now and with my lack of knife buying control, I need more real estate. I found a custom knife rack maker online and am working with him to make me two 22" magnets. One block will have two rows of magnets and one block with one row. Hoss got me into Bocote and I found nice piece online for about $70 shipped. Should be enough for both blocks too.

31163_1.jpg

There's too much emphasis on having strong magnets in my opinion. You don't need magnets that hold a heavy crow bar (unless you're hanging heavy crow bars). They're too strong for a kitchen knife.

I have a walnut Mag Blok. I do enjoy it but the magnets are stronger than they need to be. It managed to bend in one of my white #2 lasers. I don't like that at all.

I plan to try something where the entire blade length is supported by the wood to prevent bending, like what tjangula posted. I have my eye on the Bob Kramer Easel. Miyabi sells one as well.

I was also looking for a magnetic rack that would be strong enough for my knives and in exactly 80cm length. I did not find anything so I decided to build myself one.

I asked my local carpenter to cut an oak piece of wood in right dimensions. 80cm long and approximately 12 cm wide. I asked him to carve one groove on the back side that would go almost to the front but leaving one or two mm to insert magnets.
Then I bought 10x5mm round neodymium magnets and glue them in with silicon. I placed continuous row of magnets in.

It looked fine but unfortunately the rack had one issue. The magnets were strong enough-ish to hold even my bigger knives (like Watanabe gyuto 230) but the problem was that the knives were not standing straight but had a tendency to pivot around that single magnetic point. So they were never standing vertically.

I hated that and ordered new piece of wood with 2 grooves and bought additional magnets. Now the knives are secured firmly but the magnetic force is perhaps just a bit too much. If I would do it again I would use smaller magnets.

Yes - if going some sort of DIY route you ídeally want two continuous rows of magnets and of course do some testing on the strength. You may use weaker (smaller and cheaper) magnets if you out the close enough to the surface, or get stronger ones that will sit little durhter away from the surface. While both solutions will have comparable magnetic field intensity (induction) on the surface of the holder, the field of the one with stronger magnets will decrease in force with the distance from the holder slower. When I try to think of it I am actually not sure which of the two solutions is the better one :)

Should I fail with the knifemaking, I will start to make knife hodlers and dust my Magboltz software knowledge - it should be a piece of cake to calculate the shape of the magnetic field for different magnet conficurations whith it :)

...While both solutions will have comparable magnetic field intensity (induction) on the surface of the holder, the field of the one with stronger magnets will decrease in force with the distance from the holder slower. When I try to think of it I am actually not sure which of the two solutions is the better one :)

I would think a quicker drop-off in magnetic force would be better for a knife rack. You want to be able to pull the knife cleanly off the rack without a lot of tugging. Similarly, when you put the knife away you don't want the rack yanking it out of your hand (potentially unevenly, in a way that could ding the edge).

I would think a quicker drop-off in magnetic force would be better for a knife rack. You want to be able to pull the knife cleanly off the rack without a lot of tugging. Similarly, when you put the knife away you don't want the rack yanking it out of your hand (potentially unevenly, in a way that could ding the edge).

Yup. Personally, I'd rather have the knife need to touch the block before it stuck, but then have it stick well.

Back