Looking for: the ideal knife to re-handle!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Don't ask me why ... but I am curious to hear what you guys think is the PRIME candidate for a (wa-)rehandle out there?

Something in the $200-$350 range. A great cutter, that just lacks a good or even decent handle.

220-240 Gyuto.

Interested in re-handling one??? [emoji6]

You probably get that this post has something to do with you lol

Oops, I had not even seen who posted it, just read the question... Should have kept my mouth shut ;)

Stefan

TF as they are currently only shipping with the horrible D-shape Ho wood/plastic ferrule handle due to supply shortages of the octagonal handles.

Theres a sukenari zdp 189 on bst for $400 maybe offer 350 and negotiate. Incredible knife, beautiful damascus, rare steal and comes with the handleless. Watanabe is cool but get the samarai bread, just to be a forum hero.

Dare you pull the trigger on the bread sword! I

Yamawaku ... If you are after more ambitious project of reprofiling , re heat treating and re handle I have another candidate though

Tanaka or Moritaka. All of Tanaka's knives are about the blade with less attention paid to the handles.

No legend, YET, just real intriguing/badass looking. Cannot imagine them being that useful though.

Yeah, I agree
With the badass looking part!

Problem is: I already bought a badass looking "jungle style" slicer (that's what he calls it) from him last year that I never used. It looks rad though, and the handle is actually ok, burnt chestnut with horn ferrule

Theres a sukenari zdp 189 on bst for $400 maybe offer 350 and negotiate. Incredible knife, beautiful damascus, rare steal and comes with the handleless. Watanabe is cool but get the samarai bread, just to be a forum hero.

Can't find the Sukenari you mentioned, although I do recall seeing it... Hmmm

Too bad you sold the shig you used to have, That'd be a good one

Oh, that one? Yeah, but I also really need to like/love the knife to give it some re-handle love. We are talking about a "special" handle here LOL

Dammit, maybe I should post something on BST: "Want to buy: Knife to put new shoes on!"

Konosuke Fujiyama are popular ones to get rehandled, though I like their stock handles a lot. Toyama, and Carter Muteki would be good too.

Soooooooo .... I could get a 240 Tanaka #2 (Damascus) for this (cheapest option by far, the crappy plastic ferrule handle) ... or a K-tip Kochi Gyuto from Jon, I've been eyeing that for a long time ... BUT I think that handle is very nice ... so I am hesitating to buy the knife just to get rid of the handle.

Couldn't find a Kono Fujiyama for a decent price, that might've been my favorite for this ... hmmm.

Back