Which yanagi to buy as a first?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetboy85

Reaction score
Hi, i'm new to the forum and am a professional cook. I am looking to purchase a 240mm yanagi but do not have a budget of more than about 230$. I've narrowed my choices down to a few that look to have good value:

-Masamoto KK yanagi
-kikuichi carbon yanagi sashimi from CKTG
-tojiro aogami series sashimi knife
-MAC FK-240 white steel yanagiba

any help that can be offered would be appreciated!

Colin

Welcome to KKF Colin. I'm going to move this thread over to a forum that'll get you some more attention and hopefully answers.

i think it's hard to go wrong with the Yoshihiro white yanagis, which are very comfortably in this price range. i have the base model 300mm kasumi Yoshi yanagi, and it does everything i ask of it perfectly (after some TLC on the stones, anyway).

thanks for the responses, i'm choosing 240 because my work space is pretty tight and it seems to be the closest in size to my ten inch sabatier slicer, which is actually just shy of ten inches. the suisin looks to be a really good deal, i've heard great things about them. anyone have any experience with the MAC? i've had really positive experiences with the stainless professional knives and wonder if the traditional japanese ones compare. would 270 be a better all around size? i'm not a sushi chef, but i do mainly fish butchering and portioning, so i want something a little more focused and something that i'll have for years.

thanks for the responses, i'm choosing 240 because my work space is pretty tight and it seems to be the closest in size to my ten inch sabatier slicer, which is actually just shy of ten inches. the suisin looks to be a really good deal, i've heard great things about them. anyone have any experience with the MAC? i've had really positive experiences with the stainless professional knives and wonder if the traditional japanese ones compare. would 270 be a better all around size? i'm not a sushi chef, but i do mainly fish butchering andi portioning, so i want something a little more focused and something that i'll have for years.

I'd go for the 270 if you can do it, it'll be just above 260 from heel to tip (around 10-1/4).

I may go with a 270 after all. what is the difference between these knives? are they all about the same in my price range or are some a much better value? the suisin and the masamoto look like the two i'm narrowing it down to, but i'm also bent on finding out more about the MAC knives, no one seems to have any info or experience with them. would a yanagiba be okay to fillet and portion fish or are they strictly for portioning and slicing? would filleting be too rough on them? i'm assuming they're not optimal for breaking down whole striped bass or salmon...

also, how are the edge holding characteristics between them? keep in mind i use carbon sabatiers, which i can get razor sharp but they don't hold it for a long time

Portioning and slicing only. Deba is for filleting. Or you can use a sujihiki for both. Go 270 at least that way later when you need the 300 you don't have to get a 270 and then a 300. :)

i'm actually changing my mind and settling on a mioroshi deba. the watanabe standard in 195mm looks to be a killer deal, why are they so inexpensive and are watanabes good?

Back